Traffic Ticket Attorneys in Pennsylvania
Did you know that by paying your traffic ticket you are accepting a court conviction? Hiring a traffic ticket attorney helps you avoid a conviction as well as fines and other penalties. Here you can learn how to hire the right traffic ticket lawyer for you.
NOTE: The content of this website is intended solely for informational purposes. It is not a source of legal advice and should not be used as such.
Paying your traffic ticket is quick and easy; however, it means accepting a traffic violation conviction and any associated penalties.
With this in mind, you should consider fighting your ticket. A traffic ticket attorney can be a great asset in your fight.
Why Hire a Traffic Ticket Attorney?
Fighting a traffic ticket involves a lot of legal know-how that the average person does not have.
An experienced traffic ticket lawyer can represent you in court and help you:
- Avoid large fines.
- Get your charges dropped or reduced.
- Keep points off your driving record.
Traffic Ticket Convictions in Pennsylvania
Having a better understanding of the real consequences of a traffic ticket conviction can help you better judge the necessity of hiring a traffic ticket lawyer.
In Pennsylvania, traffic ticket convictions can lead to:
- Points on your driving record.
- Suspension or revocation of your driver's license.
- Increase in your car insurance rates.
Pennsylvania utilizes a point system to monitor driver behavior. A conviction for a traffic violation will earn you points on your driving record.
Having too many points on your driving record can result in the following:
- Suspension of your driver's license.
- Mandatory on-road driver's test.
The following are some common traffic violations and their corresponding point values:
- Red light violation – 3 points.
- Speeding 11 to 15 MPH over the speed limit: 3 points.
- Improper passing:3 points.
- Following too closely: 3 points.
- Careless driving: 3 points.
- Illegal U-Turn: 3 points.
- Failure to stop at a railroad crossing: 4 points.
- Speeding 31 MPH or over the speed limit: 5 points.
Do not let points accumulate on your record. Part of your traffic ticket lawyer's goal will be to help you keep a clean record.
You can learn more about the point system by reading our DMV Point System in Pennsylvania page.
Certain serious charges can result in a suspension of your license, regardless of points.
Examples of these types of traffic violations include:
- Reckless driving.
- Hit and run.
These are very serious charges, and you should think very hard before trying to fight them alone. A PA traffic ticket attorney will defend you against these serious charges.
Car Insurance Rates
Several factors go into determining your car insurance rates. Perhaps the biggest factor is your driving record.
Just one traffic violation can be disastrous to your car insurance premium. If you are convicted of a traffic violation, you can expect to pay several hundred dollars more per year for your car insurance.
Keep in mind that in order to drive your car on Pennsylvania roads, you must have auto insurance.
Your traffic ticket attorney will work to keep violations off your record so that you can maintain your auto insurance premium.
Tips for Hiring a Traffic Ticket Lawyer
If you have decided to hire a traffic ticket attorney to help defend you in your case, consider these following tips:
- Shop around –You do not have to hire the first attorney you contact. The more traffic ticket lawyers you get in touch with, the better chance you have at finding the best choice.
- Stay local – If possible, hire an attorney who works primarily around the area where your ticket was written so she'll have knowledge of the area and local law enforcement.
- Find someone you trust – Make sure you trust your attorney to represent you in the best manner possible.