Replacing a Lost Title in Pennsylvania

Replacing a Lost Title in Pennsylvania

Even organized and careful people can sometimes lose important documents like vehicle titles. Titles can also be lost during moving, stolen or damaged, or made illegible. If you wish to sell your car or use it as collateral for a loan, you will need to provide a title. In Pennsylvania, the process of getting a duplicate title for your vehicle is easy.

All vehicle titles are processed by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT).

Steps to Take

Replacing a lost title in Pennsylvania is simple. The form is available in PDF format so you can download the document and fill it out before mailing it to PennDOT. All you need is the free Acrobat Reader software from Adobe.

To apply for your duplicate, you will need to:

  • Complete an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title by Owner (Form MV-38O).
  • Supply the title number, vehicle identification number (VIN), your driver's license number, and any relevant lien information.
  • Submit payment for the $53 duplicate title fee.
    • Made payable by a check or money order made out to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
  • Mail the application, fees and documents to:

PA Department of Transportation
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 68593
Harrisburg, PA 17106


  • If you're applying for a duplicate while out-of-state in order to register the vehicle in another state, you'll need to provide 1) a copy of your out-of-state driver's license, and 2) a copy of your utility bill, bank statement, OR tax records.
  • If your title has been stolen, report the theft to local law enforcement and submit a copy of the report with your application.
  • If you are applying for a duplicate title because the original is illegible, attach the defaced title copy.

Replacing Titles with Liens

If you have a lien, a duplicate title will be issued only to the lienholder.

If your loan has been satisfied, complete section D of the Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title by Owner (Form MV-38O) to have a new title issued that shows that the lien is removed.

Making Corrections on Your Title

When applying for a duplicate title, you can remove a satisfied lien, update your address or update the current mileage on your car. If someone requests your title number, they are probably referring to your vehicle identification number (VIN).

Change Your Address

When you are updating your address, you will need to provide your drivers license number. To update:

  • Check the box in block A that indicates that you have a new address.
    • If you never received an original title, check the box in block B.
  • Enclose a fee of $53 for a replacement title. If the original title was never received, there is no fee.
  • Mail the title application and payment to the address on the form.

Change Your Name

To update your name with the Department of Transportation, you will need to:

  • Fill out an Application for Correction or Change of Name (Form MV-41A).
    • Side A is used for marriage or divorce, with no new title requested.
    • Side B can be used for any name change.
  • Include information like your driver's license number, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and your former name.
  • Provide your new Social Security card, plus 2 documents that reflect the new name.
  • Submit payment for the $53 duplicate title fee, payable by check or money order.
    • If you are not requesting a new title, there is no fee.
  • Mail the completed form and any necessary payment to the address listed.


Application for Correction or Change of Name
Submit this form to request a name change on your PA vehicle title.
Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title by Owner
Use this form to request a duplicate PA certificate of title for your car.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review