Replacing a Lost License in Pennsylvania

Replace a Lost or Stolen PA License

If your license has been lost or stolen, you are left unable to drive legally and present your main form of identification.

Luckily, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) makes getting a replacement easy.

Report a Lost or Stolen Pennsylvania License, Permit, or ID

Losing your license or having it stolen can put you at risk for identity theft. If your license is gone and possibly in the wrong hands, PennDOT recommends that you:

If you know you've been the victim of identity theft, the PennDOT recommends going to their website and clicking on the Identity/Security information center to learn more about how to report fraud and protect yourself.

You can also learn more tips by visiting our page on preventing identity theft.

Apply for a Replacement PA Driver's License

REAL IDs and License Replacements

If you plan to upgrade to a Pennsylvania REAL ID upon replacement, you'll need to do so in person and follow the steps for a first-time REAL ID application. Jump over to our license guide for help.

If your PA driver's license, permit, or ID has been lost or stolen, you are eligible to apply for a duplicate if:

  • You do not have any outstanding sanction(s) in any other states.
  • Your license is not suspended, revoked, or canceled.

PennDOT offers PA residents several methods of applying for a duplicate license:

  • In person.
  • By mail.
  • Via an online messenger service.

NOTE: You may be able to request a duplicate driver's license/ID card online.

In Person

You can apply for your duplicate in person by:

By Mail

You can also apply for a replacement license, permit, or ID by completing the application and sending it to the PennDOT by mail.

To apply by mail:

Mail your application and payment to:

P.O. Box 68272
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

NOTE: If you don't currently have a photo on file with the PennDOT, you will be mailed a camera card that you can take to a Driver License Center to obtain your permanent replacement. See “Camera Cards" below.

Online Messenger Service

PennDOT allows customers to use an online messenger service (OLM) to apply for a duplicate license.

OLMs are private businesses that offer driver licensing and registration services for PennDOT customers through an online connection with the agency. The messenger service will typically charge you the normal replacement fee and apply an additional service fee.

To apply via an online messenger service:

Once you've applied successfully, the messenger service will issue you an interim driver's license that will remain valid for 15 days. You can use this interim license to drive legally while you await your permanent driver's license in the mail.

NOTE: If you do not have a photo on file with the PennDOT, you will receive a camera card that you can take to a Driver License Center to obtain your permanent replacement. See “Camera Cards" below.

Camera Cards

If you apply online or by mail and you do not have a photo on file with PennDOT, you will be sent a camera card. Once you've received this card, you'll need to take it to a Driver License and Photo License Center and get your photo taken to receive your permanent replacement.

You will need to bring additional identification with you when you go for your photo license. The list of accepted/required ID, along with a list of driver license and photo centers, will be provided with your camera card.

You can expect to receive your camera card within 10 business days. If you do not receive it, e-mail PennDOT with your inquiry; be sure to include your driver's license number. Someone will respond to you within 2 business days.

Replacement Fees

The fee you pay will vary based on the type of duplicate document you're requesting:

  • Duplicate license: $40.50.
  • Duplicate license with motorcycle endorsement: $42.50.
  • Duplicate CDL: $40.50.
  • Duplicate ID card: $40.50.
  • Duplicate permit: $5.

Fees for duplicate camera cards are as follows:

  • Duplicate camera card: $5.
  • Duplicate camera card with motorcycle endorsement: $10.

Out-of-State and Military PA License Replacement

PennDOT allows you to apply for a duplicate non-commercial PA driver's license if you are out of state IF you are working out of the state (or a spouse or dependent child of someone working out of the state) for one of the following types of employers:

  • U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Federal Government.
  • PA State Government.

If the above applies to you may be able to apply for a duplicate to be sent to your out of state address. To do so:

Mail everything to:

P.O. Box 68272
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8272

PA Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Replacement

To apply for a replacement PA commercial driver's license (CDL), you can apply either by mail or in person at a Driver License Center by taking the same steps outlined in “Apply for a Replacement PA Driver's License" above.

The only difference is, you'll use the CDL application: Application for Change/Correction/Replacement of Commercial Driver’s License (Form DL-80CD).

You may not apply via an online messenger service.

You cannot legally drive a commercial vehicle without a valid license, so be sure to apply for your replacement right away.


Out-of-State Address/Photo Exemption Form
Use this form if you have grounds to use an out-of-state address AND/OR photo exemption when it comes to applying for a Pennsylvania driver's license.
Non-Commercial Drivers License/ID/Learners Permit Application to Renew/Replace/Change/Correct
Application to change OR replace your Pennsylvania driver's license.
Fraudulent Misuse of ID/Drivers License Credentials
Submit this form if you suspect someone of using your personal information for fraudulent reasons (e.g. obtaining a PA driver's license using your name).
Commercial Drivers License Application to Duplicate/Correct
Form used to request a duplicate OR corrected PA commercial driver's license.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review