Renewing Your License in Pennsylvania
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Renew Your Pennsylvania Driver's License
Having a valid driver's license is required to operate your vehicle in Pennsylvania, which means you'll need to renew it when the expiration date approaches. The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) handles all driver's license renewal applications.
If you need specific details about renewing a different type of driver's license or permit, please visit our following pages:
- Commercial driver's license (CDL) renewals
- Identification cards
- Driver's permits
- Motorcycle licenses
Is your driver's license valid or suspended in Pennsylvania ? Find out by ordering your driving record online today.
When to Renew Your PA Driver's License
Every 4 years, your PA driver's license will need to be renewed. If you are 65 years old or older, you have the option to renew every 2 years.
NOTE: If you moved to a new address, you can handle the address change at the same time as your renewal, or online beforehand. For more information, please see our Changing Your Address page.
If you need to check the status of your driver's license renewal, contact the PA DOT.
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Driver's License
If you lost your PA driver's license and you know it will be expiring soon, you may be able to renew it instead of applying for a duplicate. To verify, you'll need to contact your local PA DOT office.
You can find more information on replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged driver's license on our Replacing a Lost License in Pennsylvania page.
Expired Driver's License
It is illegal to drive on an expired driver's license in Pennsylvania. PennDOT allows up to 6 months after your license expires to renew it without having to restart the driver's licensing process.
If you're not sure if your driver's license has expired and would like to check the status, you can obtain a copy of your Pennsylvania driving record.
Did you know a single organ donor could save up to 8 lives? Become an organ donor today!
Renew Your Pennsylvania Driver's License
The Pennsylvania DOT will mail your renewal notice called the “Invitation to Renew" (Form DL60A/DL60R) approximately 3 months before your PA driver's license expires.
NOTE: If you're a member of the military or a civilian temporarily living outside the state, you may be able to renew by mail (see Out-of-State PA Residents & Military below).
You must meet all of the following criteria in order to renew your PA non-commercial driver's license online:
- You do not have an out-of-state address listed on your driver's license.
- You do not currently hold a PA driver's license without a photo.
- Your PA driver's license has not been expired for more than 6 months.
If eligible, you will need to:
- Visit the PennDOT Online Driver's License/Photo ID Login website.
- Have your driver's license number ready.
- Provide a credit or debit card for the renewal fee.
- See Fees to Renew Your PA Driver's License below for more details.
To renew your PA driver's license in person, you'll need to visit your local PennDOT office and:
- Provide your Invitation to Renew (Form DL60A/DL60R) OR complete the Non-Commercial Driver's License Application For Renewal (Form DL-143).
- Have your photograph taken.
- Show your Social Security card.
- Present proof of identification (i.e., PA driver's license, ID card, passport).
- Submit payment for the driver's license renewal fee.
- See Fees to Renew Your PA Driver's License below.
NOTE: If you changed your name, you'll need to provide additional documentation proving your identity. See our Changing Your Name page for more details.
Out-of-State PA Residents & Military
If you are currently stationed in Germany, please be aware that some states require you to have a valid U.S. driver's license in addition to your USAREUR license. Read our article for more information.
For active duty service members, your driver's license will stay valid during your absences from the state, AND for 45 days after you return to Pennsylvania or are discharged from the military.
If you choose, you can renew your driver's license by mail if you plan to be outside of Pennsylvania, and you are either a:
- Federal government employee.
- State government employee.
- Member of the U.S. armed forces (your family also qualifies).
You'll need a:
- Completed Non-Commercial Driver's License Application For Renewal (Form DL-143).
- Completed an Out-of-State Address/Photo Exemption (Form DL-82).
- Letter from your employer on their letterhead indicating your status.
- Check or money order payable to PennDOT for your driver's license fee (see Fees to Renew Your PA Driver's License below).
Mail everything to:
P.O. Box 68272
Harrisburg, PA 17106
Military Status Endorsement Card
While not required, military personnel and their dependents can opt to apply for a Military Status Endorsement Card, which ensures that your driving record remains valid in PennDOT's system during an extended absence from the state.
To apply for this card:
- Complete a Military Status Endorsement Card Application for Pennsylvania Driver's License (Form DL-176).
- Provide EITHER:
- A copy of your military ID.
- A letter from your commanding officer on his or her letterhead.
Send the above to the address on the form.
Fees to Renew Your PA Driver's License
The cost for renewing your PA driver's license and the renewal period will depend on your age:
- Under 65 years old: $30.50, valid for 4 years.
- 65 years old and older: $25, valid for 2 years.
Accepted Payment Methods
Depending on how you renew your driver's license, the PA DMV will accept the following payment methods:
- Money order.
- Credit/debit card: VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
NOTE: Online payments must be made by credit or debit card. Check or money orders are to be made payable to "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania".
Be sure to contact your local PennDOT office for specific details on how to pay your fees.
Military Status Endorsement Card Application for Pennsylvania Drivers License - DL-176
Submit this form to PennDOT if you are an active member of the military OR are the spouse or child of a military member. Submission ensures your PA driving record remains valid while you're stationed out-of-state.
Out-of-State Address/Photo Exemption Form - DL-82
Use this form if you have grounds to use an out-of-state address AND/OR photo exemption when it comes to applying for a Pennsylvania driver's license.
Non-Commercial Drivers License Application For Renewal - DL-143
Submit this form when you need to renew your driver's license with the PA Department of Transportation.