Renewing Your CDL in Pennsylvania
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
Renewal Notices and Applications
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will mail you a renewal notice about 3 months prior to the expiration date of your commercial driver's license (CDL). To save the hassle of having to wait in line at a Driver and Vehicle Service Center, this allows you to renew by mail. Unlike a regular driver's license, you cannot renew a CDL online.
To renew, you will need to complete a CDL renewal application (Form DL-143CD). You can grab one at any PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Service Center rather than download it, if you like.
Hazardous Materials Endorsements
If you are renewing your hazmat endorsement for the first time since the requirements of the US PATRIOT Act became mandatory, you will need to:
- Pass the hazmat recertification knowledge exam.
- Visit any PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services office and provide proof of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport, valid birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or certificate of U.S. citizenship) or legal immigration status (permanent resident card, Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport, or reentry permit).
- Complete an Application for Security Threat Assessment (Form DL-288). This will be included in the mail with your renewal notice. The state forwards this to the Department of Homeland Security.
- Put your fingerprints on record.
- Pay an additional fee for the fingerprinting and background check.
Your CDL will be valid for 4 years, or 2 years if you're 65 years old or over (the fees shown below reflect this):
- CDL: 94.50 or $52
- CDL with HAZMAT endorsement: $110.50 or $68
- CDL with Class M: $114.50 or $62
- CDL with Class M and HAZMAT endorsement: $130.50 or $78
Mail your renewal application along with a check (made out to "Commonwealth of Pennsylvania") or money order to the address on the form.
New Federal Requirements
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with PennDOT. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must, in addition to a completed Self-Certification Form (Form DL-11CD) provide PennDOT with a federal medical certificate.
Visit PennDOT's Fact Sheet page for full information.
Medical Examination Report for Commercial Driver Fitness Determination - 649-F
Use this form to disclose your medical history and pertinent medical information as part of a Pennsylvania commercial driver's license application.
Self-Certification Form - DL-11CD
Used to disclose if you'll be an interstate OR intrastate commercial driver. Required when applying for a Pennsylvania CDL.
Renewal of a Commercial Drivers License - DL-143CD
Submit this form to the PA Department of Transportation to renew your CDL.
Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application for Security Threat Assessment - DL-288
Submit this form to PennDOT when applying for a hazardous materials endorsement on your CDL.