Moving Out of State in Pennsylvania

Registration and License Plates

To request a registration refund, complete an aptly named Application for Refund Motor Vehicle/ Driver License Products (Form MV-700). Include your vehicle's title and license plate numbers. Mail to:

  • PennDOT - Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • Riverfront Office Center - Refund Section
  • P.O. Box 68611
  • Harrisburg, PA 17106

Keep in mind that once a license plate is fastened to your vehicle or a registration sticker has been pasted to your license plate, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) brands it as used. And under no circumstances will PennDOT refund used plates or registration stickers.

Once you've settled in your new state, PennDOT does want your Pennsylvania plates back to fully cancel your registration. Mail the tags to:

  • PennDOT - Bureau of Motor Vehicles
  • Return Tag Unit
  • P.O. Box 68597
  • Harrisburg, PA 17106
Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Things to do When You Move to a New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 and 60 days.
  • Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
  • If you're a prospective new driver you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
  • If you completed a driver education course in your old state you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
  • Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
  • Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.
  • Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.


Application for Refund Motor Vehicle/ Driver License Products
Use this form if you have grounds to request a refund for registration OR licensing fees from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review