Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Pennsylvania
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
Mopeds requires user to have a driver's license or a motorcycle license. Decide whether or not your bike's a moped.
- Operational pedals and a motor.
- They have a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, and the cylinder capacity cannot exceed 50 ccs.
- Travel no faster than 25 MPH.
- Must have an automatic transmission.
Mopeds do not require an inspection during the registration process, but you will need to provide proof of insurance, and a current valid Class C driver's license.
A moped license plate will be issued upon registration; the annual fee is $9.
Moped drivers aren't required to wear helmets or goggles, but it's recommended.
A scooter, or motor-driven cycle, also has its own definition and rules. Its engine must produce no more than 5 brake horsepower.
Eye protection is required on a scooter. Helmets are required for some drivers and passengers. You have a choice whether to wear a helmet or not if you are:
- Driving a 3-wheeled, closed cab scooter
- 21 years old or older and have operated a motorcycle for at least 2 years.
- 21 years old or older and have completed a motorcycle safety course approved by PennDOT
- A passenger 21 years old or older who rides with an exempted driver
You may also hear the term "scooter" used when referring to electric toys used by children, or to slower-moving scooters used in stores and on sidewalks for the infirm. These aren't street-legal; none of these rules apply.
Choosing a Scooter or Moped
With rising gas costs, many of us are looking for ways to lower our gasoline bill each month. Scooters and mopeds are fuel-efficient, affordable, and fun. But do some research before you buy.