Identification Cards in Pennsylvania

SUMMARY: Pennsylvania Identification Cards

Applications for a PA identification card must be made in person at a PennDOT office. To renew or replace a state ID card, you must order a camera card either online or by mail, then obtain your ID card in person at a photo center. ID cards cost $31.50.

Continue reading this page to learn how to apply for an identification card from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT).

Apply for a PA Identification Card

If you're a legal Pennsylvania resident, you can apply for a non-driver ID card when you turn 10 years old.

You will need to visit your local PennDOT office with:

Visit the PennDOT website for a complete list of accepted and required documents:

NOTE: You will need to have your photo taken.

Your Pennsylvania non-driver ID card will be issued at the PennDOT office.

Renew/Replace a Pennsylvania ID Card

To renew or replace your PA state ID card, you will first need to request a camera card either online or by mail.

To request a camera card by mail, you will need to complete:

Send the application form and payment for the $31.50 fee to the address listed on the form to receive a camera card.

NOTE: You should receive your camera card within 10 days. If you haven't received it after this time, contact PennDOT directly.

Once you have received your camera card, you will need to visit a PennDOT photo center and:

  • Provide your camera card.
  • Provide proof of your identity and signature, such as your:
    • PA state ID card.
    • Passport.
    • Employee ID card.
  • Verify your Social Security number (SSN), if required.
  • Have your photo taken.

Change Your Name or Address

If you've moved to a new address in PA, you must notify PennDOT within 15 days. You can do this either:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.

NOTE: You will receive an update card showing your new address. If you'd like a replacement ID card, you will need to apply for one.

Visit our Changing Your Address in Pennsylvania page for complete instructions.

Updating your name on your PA identification card can be done either by mail or in person. You will need to show proof of your new name, such as your:

More information can be found on our Changing Your Name page.


Photo Identification Card Application for Change/Correction/Replacement/Renew
Application to change, replace, OR renew a Pennsylvania identification card.
Application for An Initial Identification Card
Application for an original PA identification card.