Applying for Special Plates in Pennsylvania
You can easily apply for special and personalized plates with PennDOT by sending your application and fees by mail. To renew your plates, simply renew your registration. In order to replace a lost or stolen plate, you must reapply for that plate. Fees for these plates vary.
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) offers several types of special plates as well as personalized plates. Continue reading to learn how to apply for these special registration plates.
- Looking for a disability parking permit or license plate? Our section dedicated to drivers with disabilities has information.
- Interested in the different plates offered by PennDOT? Check out our page on Types of Special PA License Plates.
How to Apply for Special Plates in Pennsylvania
PennDOT offers several categories of special plates to choose from. To order one of these plates:
- Find your plate and corresponding application within the appropriate plate category:
- Gather any required proof of eligibility and/or proof of ID (see your form for requirements).
- Provide payment for the plate fee by check or money order.
- Submit all of the above to the address on the application.
NOTE: If you have plates that you no longer need or which are now invalid, surrender them to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Return Tag Unit
P.O. Box 68597
Harrisburg, PA 17106
Most special plates may be personalized for an extra fee.
To apply for a PA personalized plate, take the same steps as those for special plates using the form associated with the specific special plate you wish to personalize.
NOTE: If you are applying to personalize a standard plate, you'll complete the Application for Special Registration Plate (Form MV-904).
Checking Plate Availability
You can check whether your desired personal message/number is available online BEFORE you order your personalized plate.
Note that your plates will not be reserved until your application and payment have been received and processed by PennDOT.
Once your application is processed and your message has been approved, allow up to 10 weeks for delivery of your plate.
Renewing and Replacing PA Special Plates
Renewing Special Plates
You'll renew your Pennsylvania special plates when you renew your vehicle registration. Note that special plate fees may apply in addition to your standard renewal fees.
To learn more, visit our PA Registration Renewal page.
Replacing Special Plates
If your PA custom plate gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you may get a replacement license plate by:
- Completing an application for replacement.
- You'll use the same form you initially used to apply for your plate.*
- Paying the special plate fee.
- Submitting the application, required supporting documents (proof of eligibility) and payment to the PA Department of Transportation at the address on the form.
* If you need an immediate replacement, you may use the Application for Duplicate Registration Card, Replacement of Registration Plate, Renewal Sticker or Weight Class Sticker (Form MV-44) to get a standard plate while you wait for your special plate. The fee for the standard plate will be $11.
PA Special Plates Fees
Fees for special plates in Pennsylvania will vary by plate.
- Special plates: Fees vary.
- Find your application form to see your plate fee.
- Personalized standard plate: $79.
- Personalized special plate: $104 personalization fee + special plate fee.
- Amateur radio operator plate: $11.
- Press photographer plate: $11.
- Personalization: Additional $104 fee.