Title Transfers in Oregon

How to Complete an Oregon Vehicle Title Transfer:
  1. Obtain the current title from the previous owner.
  2. Obtain a release of interest from your lienholder, if applicable.
  3. Complete the title and registration application.
  4. Submit all documents and payment for title transfer fees to the DMV.

Continue reading to learn more details about title transfers in Oregon.

New Resident Title Transfers

If you have recently moved to Oregon, you will need to title and register your vehicle with Oregon's Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV).

Take the following steps to apply for an Oregon vehicle title:

  • Pass an emissions test (if applicable).
  • Get a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
  • Provide your current title.
    • If a lienholder currently has the title, please see “Vehicles with Lien Holds" below.
  • Complete an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
    • A non-fillable version of the form may be found here.
  • Provide an odometer disclosure (listed on the application) IF your car is under 20 years old.
  • Pay any applicable title fees.

You can submit your application in person at a DMV location, or you can mail it to:

Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314

Vehicles with Lien Holds

If your car has a lien against it and your lender currently holds your title, they will have to apply for your Oregon vehicle title on your behalf.

Contact your lender for information on any specific requirements they may have to accomplish this task.

You will need to send the above documents to your lender along with a Security Interest Holder Letter (Form 735-6603L). This form is found at the bottom of the linked document). Your lienholder will then send the application and the title certificate to the address listed above.

Oregon does not allow you to register your car without an Oregon title. While you wait for your lender and the DMV to complete the vehicle title and registration process, you will need a temporary trip permit to drive your car within the state.

Buying or Selling a Vehicle in Oregon

New Vehicle Title Transfer

Typically when you purchase a car from an Oregon dealership, the dealer will handle your car title transfer for you.

If your dealer does not submit your title and registration application to the DMV, you must submit the following yourself:

Submit the above:

  • In person at your local DMV office.
  • By mail to:
    • Oregon DMV
    • 1905 Lana Ave NE
    • Salem, OR 97314

Used Car Title Transfer

When you purchase a used Oregon car, you will need to have the seller:

  • Sign the title over to you.
  • Release their interest in the vehicle by filling out either:
  • Provide a Statement of Lien Satisfaction (Form 735-524) from their lienholder if the vehicle had a lien while they owned it.
  • Provide an Odometer disclosure (required if the vehicle is under 20 years old) filled out on either:
    • The title certificate.
    • A Secure Odometer Disclosure/Reassignment form (available at DMV offices).

Once you've received the title and other documents from the seller, visit your local DMV office and:

If the car isn't currently registered and you are moving to Portland or the Rogue Valle/Medford area, you will need to pass an emissions inspection before titling and registering your car.

Submit the above in person at a DMV office location, or by mail to:

Oregon DMV
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314

Selling a Car

When you sell a car, it is the new owner's responsibility to complete the application for DMV title transfer. However, there are some tasks you must do before you can relinquish the vehicle to them.

You'll need to:

  • Sign the title over to the buyer.
  • Sign a release of interest on one of the following:
  • Complete an odometer disclosure, either on the title certificate OR a Secure Odometer Disclosure/Reassignment form (available at your local DMV).

Transferring Inherited Vehicles

The steps for titling an inherited vehicle in Oregon differ depending on several factors:

  • If you are named as a co-owner (e.g. you have survivorship).
  • If the deceased's estate is probated.
  • If there is no named owner and no probate on the estate.

Car Titles with Survivorship

Having survivorship of a co-owned vehicle means that when the primary title holder is deceased, you can legally re-title the vehicle in your name. If your spouse, for example, gets a new car and decides to make you a co-owner, then they'll have the option of assigning you survivorship during vehicle registration.

So, if you do have survivorship, you can re-title the vehicle of the deceased in your name, by submitting the following to the DMV:

  • The current title certificate.
  • One of the following for proof of death:
    • Death certificate.
    • Obituary notice.
  • Any other required documents listed in Buying or Selling above.
  • Payment for applicable titling fees.

Probated Estates

If there is no title survivorship, and the deceased's estate is probated, you must submit the following to the DMV to complete a title transfer:

  • Copy of Letter of Testamentary issued by the court, or other equivalent paperwork.
  • The current title certificate (if available).
  • Release of interest by the appointed personal representative(s) on one of the following:
  • Completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
  • Odometer reading and inspection documents (if applicable).
  • Payment for any title fees.

Estate Not Probated

To complete an auto title transfer of a vehicle that is not subject to probate, you will need to submit the following to the DMV:

Lien Releases

After you have completely paid off your car loan, your lender will release the lien hold on your vehicle.

Take the following steps to have the lien removed from your Oregon title:

Duplicate Titles in Oregon

If you have lost your OR title certificate, you can order a replacement title by submitting the following to the DMV:

NOTE: You can also submit the replacement title form when renewing your registration.

DMV Title Transfers – Lost Titles

If the previous owner has misplaced the title certificate, you can still complete a title transfer.

If the vehicle is NOT required to have an odometer disclosure (see Buying or Selling above), you can get a replacement and complete the transfer at the same time:

If the vehicle DOES need an odometer disclosure statement, the seller will need to obtain the replacement title FIRST, and give that new title to you, in order for you to complete the transfer of ownership.

Title Transfer Fees

The following are standard vehicle titling fees in Oregon:

  • Title fee: $101 to $192.
  • Title replacement fee: $101 to $192.
  • Title replacement with transfer: $101 to $192.

Late fees:

  • Additional $25 late fee if applying 31 to 60 days after date of sale.
  • Additional $50 late fee if applying on or after 61 days after date of sale.

Late Fee Exceptions

You may be exempt from paying a late fee if:

  • You can prove that you made a good faith effort to get your vehicle titled.
  • You can prove a failure to comply for a reason that was out of your control.
  • No sale has occurred (ex. adding name to title, transfer through inheritance).
  • You are applying for a salvage title.
  • You are applying or a replacement title, AND will be titling the vehicle in another state.
  • A title was issued for the car within 30 days of date of sale.
  • Documents were brought into the DMV within 30 days of date of sale.
  • Your car is not currently titled in Oregon.
  • You are an Oregon dealer (must notify the DMV of the purchase).
  • Date of sale was before January 1, 1986.

Changing Information on Your Vehicle Title

Name Changes

Oregon state law requires you to complete a name change on your title if your name changes from the name listed on your title (ex. marriage or divorce).

To change your name on your title, submit the following to the DMV:


If there is a mistake on your title that you wish to have corrected, submit the following to the DMV:

Corrections for the information listed above will be completed by the Oregon DMV for free.


Application for Replacement Title
Application for a replacement OR vehicle title from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Application for Title and Registration
Request a new Oregon title OR registration, registration renewal, plate transfer, OR replacement registration from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Inheritance Affidavit
DMV form used to assign ownership of a deceased person's vehicle to one of their heirs IF the vehicle is not transferred in a will. Form must be notarized.
Request for Correction of Title Records
Request a correction to your Oregon vehicle title.
Statement of Lien Satisfaction
Complete this form when you've satisfied a lien on an OR vehicle title.
Vehicle Bill of Sale
Use this form as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Oregon.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review