Replacing a Lost Title in Oregon

Replacing a Lost Title in Oregon

The Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) allows residents to apply to replace a lost title when the original is damaged, mutilated or destroyed. If your title is stolen, the suspect must be unknown; you're not permitted to apply to replace lost vehicle title if you know the identity of a person or persons who either stole or you suspect now owns your title.

The OR DMV in Salem processes all new title applications and replacement title applications. On this page, you'll find out how to obtain a replacement copy of your Oregon vehicle title.

Applying for a Duplicate Title

You can apply by mail or in person at your local Oregon DMV office to replace a title if it has been lost, destroyed, or damaged. Oregon does not accept electronic submissions or online payments.

NOTE: The DMV will only consider a stolen title as "lost" if an unknown party has taken it. If you suspect or know who stole the title, the DMV will not issue you a replacement.

In the case your title has been lost, destroyed, or damaged, you can take the following steps to apply for a replacement:

  • Complete the Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515). Note that all owners on the title must sign.
  • Pay the appropriate fees:
    • $90 for a trailer loaded with more than 8,000 lbs. OR a motor with Gross Vehicle Weight over 26,001 lbs.
    • $101 to $192 for other vehicles.
      • DMV only accepts checks or money orders made out to the "Oregon DMV."
  • Take your completed materials to your local DMV office or mail everything to the following address:

DMV Headquarters
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314

Can you add or remove an owner or a lien from the title during this process?

Lienholders who are still shown on DMV records must sign the application replacing a lost title, even if they believe they have released interest. A transfer of ownership must include the registered owner's signature, any release forms, and in some cases, odometer information.

You don't need odometer information if:

  • Only a new lienholder is added.
  • The vehicle being transferred is:
    • At least 20 years old.
    • 16,000 lbs. or more (manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating).
    • A snowmobile, or Class I All-Terrain Vehicle.
    • A trailer, or not equipped with an odometer when manufactured.

If you odometer information is requested, you also need at least 1 owner signature.

Purchase a vehicle from a seller who lost the title?

You can begin the process by switching the title into your name if the vehicle doesn't require disclosure of odometer information. If one of the original owners will remain on the new vehicle title, that's all you need.

If odometer information is needed, the owner must disclose to the buyer. The owner must also disclose the circumstances of a lost title or stolen title to the DMV in the application.

Replacing a Lost Title w/ Registration Renewal

If renewal of your registration information is required due to a lost, damaged, or stolen vehicle title, you'll need to:

NOTE: If you would like to select license plates (if needed) or transfer them from another state, there will be a plate fee.

Replacement Transfer w/o Registration Renewal

If you simply want to replace title without renewing your registration, you need to provide:

Making Corrections on Your Title

If a name needs to be changed due to marriage, divorce, a legal name change or naturalization information, you'll need to:

  • Provide the original title.
  • Fill out an Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
  • Include the reason for the change plus any legal information.
  • Submit payment for the title fee. See above.

If the change is due to a mistake made by the DMV, you'll need the original title plus a Request for Correction of Title Records (Form 735-264). There is no charge for this.

Both items can be submitted to a DMV office or mailed directly to the Salem DMV office.

Deceased Owner

In Oregon, survivors must first decide if they want their Oregon title to show co-ownership.

If survivorship is the method, you will need:

If survivorship isn't declared, you have several options:

If the estate is in open probate, you must bring:

If the estate was in probate but closed, you'll need:

  • A copy of Decree of Final Distribution showing who was awarded the vehicle.
  • The original Oregon title.
  • A completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
  • Any relevant documents and fees.

If the estate if not being probated, you'll need:


Application for Replacement Title
Application for a replacement OR vehicle title from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Application for Title and Registration
Request a new Oregon title OR registration, registration renewal, plate transfer, OR replacement registration from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Inheritance Affidavit
DMV form used to assign ownership of a deceased person's vehicle to one of their heirs IF the vehicle is not transferred in a will. Form must be notarized.
Request for Correction of Title Records
Request a correction to your Oregon vehicle title.
Vehicle Bill of Sale
Use this form as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Oregon.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review