Drivers in the Military in Oregon

Military personnel, veterans, and their families may take advantage of a number of Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) services that typically accommodate those stationed abroad or out of the state.

If You're Stationed Abroad or Out of State

If you're in the military and want to change your Oregon driver's license address, you may do so online or by mail.

You can even renew your Oregon vehicle registration online, if you own a vehicle. This makes the task much easier for U.S. service men and women serving abroad, or stationed in other states.

To show proof of Oregon residency, you should provide a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) showing Oregon as your home of record. Military drivers must still provide their actual residence address, even it if is a different state.

For Oregon drivers in the military who must replace a driver license that has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, or if your license is about to expire, you may request a “Valid With Previous Photo” driver license. To proceed, you must complete an online Oregon DMV Driver Related Inquiry/Request Form or contact your local OR DMV office. When you receive the form, mail it along with the $30 fee for replacement, or $64 for renewal, to the following address:

Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division

Driver Programs

1905 Lana Ave NE

Salem, OR 97314

Those 65 years old and over must have a vision test and submit the proper Certification of Vision (Form 735-24). The required forms and documents must be returned to the DMV's Driver Issuance Unit, at the same address listed above.

Returning to Oregon

Upon your return to Oregon, you're required to go to a DMV office to obtain a replacement license with a photo, and surrender the "valid without photo" license and pay $30 again.

Military Personnel Stationed in Oregon

Replacing a Lost or Stolen License

For military personnel stationed in Oregon who need to replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed license, you can replace it through the normal procedure, which consists of:

If you do not have a photo on file with the DMV, you can use a Military ID, passport, or out-of-state driver license or ID card as proof of identity for a new photo.

Renewing Your License

If you're stationed in Oregon and simply need to renew your Oregon license, you must renew in person at a DMV office. There, you must:

The Oregon DMV does not accept credit or debit cards, but does take checks with proper ID and there are ATMs at most locations.


Certificate of Vision
Submit this form to the DMV if you need a special vision exam from an optometrist or ophthalmologist as part of applying for your Oregon driver's license. Form must be completed by a vision specialist.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review