Disability Plates and Placards in Oregon

SUMMARY: Oregon Disability Placards & License Plates

If you are a resident of Oregon and have a disability, you may obtain a permit for disability parking from the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV). Below you'll find information about different types of disability placards, including regulations for handicapped parking, how to apply for disability placards, disabled parking permit renewal, and replacing placards that are lost or stolen.

Disability Permit Types and Rules

The Oregon DMV issues several types of placards for handicapped parking:

  • Renewable parking permit: For people with permanent disabilities.
  • Wheelchair permits: For wheelchair users.
  • Family permit: For families with at least 2 people with disabilities who live at the same address.
  • Program permit: For organizations that transport people with disabilities.
  • Temporary permits for:
    • People with temporary disabilities.
    • People traveling outside of Oregon.

NOTE: The only disability license plates in Oregon are disabled veteran plates, which must be accompanied by a disability placard for handicapped parking access.

Traveling with Disabilities

Oregon recognizes the disabled parking placards and plates issued by other states or countries, and other states honor Oregon's disability parking placards also.

However, you can still apply for a duplicate disability permit to take with you while you're outside of Oregon OR a temporary permit to use while you're visiting Oregon.

See “ Apply for OR Disabled Parking" below for more information.

Handicapped Parking Regulations

The family, renewable, and temporary permits allow you to park in:

  • Parking places reserved for disabled parking.
  • Public parking zones with a limit of more than 30 minutes for an unlimited time, without paying.

Other permits, such as wheelchair permits and program permits, have different rules.

Apply for OR Disabled Parking

You can apply for a free disability placard from the OR DMV either by mail or in person.

You will need:

Submit your application in person at an Oregon DMV office or by mail to:

DMV Driver Programs
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314

NOTE: You must apply in person at an Oregon DMV office if you are applying for a renewable permit AND you do not have a driver's license or ID.

Family or Program Permits

To apply for a family disability permit or program permit, use the appropriate application forms below instead:

These forms must be submitted by mail.

Renew Your Disability Placard/License Plate

Temporary disability permits are valid for up to 6 months. After this time, if you still need your disability parking privileges, you will need to re-apply for the temporary permit. You cannot renew a temporary handicap permit. See the “Apply for OR Disabled Parking" section above.

Renewable handicap permits expire when your Oregon driver's license or ID card expires. To renew the permit, you must go to an OR DMV office in person with:

Replace a Disability Permit in Oregon

To replace a handicapped parking placard that is lost, stolen, or damaged, contact the Oregon DMV:

  • Online by using the contact form.
  • By calling your local OR DMV office.

If you need to replace disabled veteran license plates, visit our Replacing a Lost Registration in Oregon page for instructions.


735-265 FPP
Application for Family Parking Permit for Disabled Persons
Request an original, renewed, OR replacement disabled person program parking permit from the OR DMV.
Application for Parking Permit for an Individual with a Disability
Request an original, replacement, temporary, OR renewed disabled parking permit OR decal from the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division. Must be completed by a doctor.
735-265 PP
Application for Program Parking Permit
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review