Name Change in Oregon
Continue reading this page for instructions on changing your name with the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV).
Change Your Name with the SSA
If you've recently changed your name due to marriage, divorce, or any other reason, you'll need to update the Social Security Administration (SSA) and obtain an updated Social Security card.
You'll need to submit the following documents to your local SSA office either by mail or in person:
- Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Documents proving your:
- Identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
- U.S. citizenship OR lawful presence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, work permit and I-94).
- Name change (e.g. divorce decree, marriage certificate, court order).
Once the SSA have processed and approved your request, they will send you your updated Social Security card showing your new name within about 14 business days.
OR Driver's License/ID Card Name Change
To change your name on your OR driver's license, commercial driver's license (CDL), or ID card, you must visit your local Oregon DMV office in person and:
- Submit a completed application form:
- Present proof of your:
- Name (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
- Legal U.S. presence, identity, and date of birth (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. citizenship certificate, employment authorization card).
- Oregon residence, if required (e.g. driver's license, car registration card, pay check).
- Provide your Social Security number (SSN).
- Pay the driver’s license fee.
If you own a car in Oregon, you'll also need to change your name on your car title and registration (see below).
Car Title & Registration Name Change
After changing your name, you must update your certificate of title and registration card within 30 days
- Your current certificate of title.
- A completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
- Make a note on the application that you are the same person and it's just your name that is changing.
- Include your driver's license number and date of birth.
- Payment for the title fee.
Take the form in person to your local Oregon DMV office, or mail it to:
1905 Lana Avenue NE
Salem, OR 97314
Fees to Change Your Name in OR
- Driver's license: $26.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL): $26.
- ID card: $39.50.
- Title certificate: $101 to $192.
- Title certificate (heavy vehicles): $90.
Accepted Payment Methods
Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) offices accept payment by cash or check only. They do not accept credit or debit cards.
Change Your Oregon Address
If you move to a new address in Oregon, you must notify the DMV within 30 days of the move. You can make this change either:
- By mail
- In person.
For complete instructions, visit our Change of Address in Oregon page.