Paperwork When Buying a Car in Oregon

When you buy a car in Oregon, you'll need to receive paperwork from the seller in order to complete the sale.

Use this guide to learn more about the requirements of the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV) to properly transfer ownership following a purchase.

Paperwork for Oregon Car Buyers

Your steps to receiving and completing all paperwork for a new vehicle purchase in Oregon is based on whether you bought that vehicle from:

  • A dealership.
  • A private seller.

Dealership Sales

When Oregon residents buy a car at a dealership, the dealer will typically submit all necessary paperwork required for titling and registering the vehicle.

However, if this task does end up falling to you, make sure you have the following paperwork:

  • The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO), for brand new vehicles without a title.
  • The current vehicle title, for a used vehicle previously titled in Oregon.
  • A dealer's invoice or bill of sale.

Private Vehicle Purchases

When you purchase a car from a private seller, you'll need to receive certain documents so you can transfer ownership yourself.

Here are the documents you'll need from the seller before completing the sale:

  • A properly-completed vehicle title, including:
    • An odometer disclosure (for vehicles under 20 years old).
    • The purchase price.
    • The sale date.
    • Signatures from both you and the seller.
  • A current emissions certificate, if applicable.
  • A Bill of Sale (Form 735-501)—required when no title is present, but recommended for all transactions as a record of purchase.
    • See "Missing Titles" below for details on vehicle sales with a missing title.

Missing Titles

If the title of the vehicle is missing or is in unusable condition, either you or the seller can get a new one by submitted a completed Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515).

If the seller doesn't apply for a new title prior to the transaction, you'll need to submit a completed Bill of Sale (Form 735-501) to the DMV in order to prove transfer of ownership.

Oregon Vehicle Registration Paperwork

To title and register your car with the Oregon DMV, you'll need to bring all dealer or seller paperwork listed above, PLUS the following:

  • A completed Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).
  • An odometer disclosure for vehicles less than 20 years old.
    • Can be written on the back of the title OR by completing an Odometer Disclosure (Form 735-403A). Call the Oregon Auto Dealers Association (OADA) at (503) 233-5044 to request this form. It cannot be request from the DMV..
  • Proof of OR car insurance.
  • Lease or lienholder paperwork, if applicable.
  • Payment for the fees due, including:
    • Title fee: $101 to $192.
    • Registration fee: $126 (2 years).

For full details on registering your new car in Oregon, visit our Car Registration guide.

Registering Out-of-State Vehicles in Oregon

In addition to the documents above, you may also be required to submit the following paperwork to the Oregon DMV when registering a car from out-of-state:

  • A Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
    • Needed for new vehicles without a title.
  • A vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection certificate, which can be completed at:
    • The DMV.
    • A licensed vehicle dealer.
    • An emissions testing center.
  • The current out-of-state registration.


Application for Replacement Title
Application for a replacement OR vehicle title from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Application for Title and Registration
Request a new Oregon title OR registration, registration renewal, plate transfer, OR replacement registration from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Vehicle Bill of Sale
Use this form as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Oregon.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review