Paperwork When Selling a Car in Oregon

Paperwork Required to Sell a Car in Oregon

When selling a car in Oregon, you'll need to provide certain documents to the buyer so they can have the car transferred to their name. This page outlines all the documents you need to ensure a successful and worry-free transaction.

If you need help with the initial process of selling your car, see our helpful guide.

How to Sell a Car in Oregon

To complete the sale with a buyer, you'll need to complete some documentation and also notify the OR Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division (DMV).

  • Certificate of title: You will need to sign off on the vehicle's certificate of title and give it to the buyer. If there are other owners listed on the front of the title, they must also provide a signature. The buyer must sign it too in the designated spot. (Older titles might have you sign as the “registered owner" versus the “new owner," rather than as the “seller" and the “buyer.")
  • Odometer disclosure: Using either the appropriate space on the back of the title certificate or a Secure Odometer Disclosure (Form 735-403A). You will need to call the Oregon Auto Dealers Association (OADA) at (503) 233-5044 to request this form, as you cannot request it from the DMV..
    • This disclosure is not required for certain vehicles, including cars manufactured without an odometer or vehicles that are 20 years old or older when the DMV receives the application for title. Check out the full list of exempt vehicles at the DMV website.
  • Bill of sale: The buyer may request a Vehicle Bill of Sale (Form 735-501) from you. This will include information including the:
    • Make and model of the car.
    • Sale date.
    • Buyer's details.

You, as the seller, must notify the Oregon DMV of the sale within 10 days of the transfer of ownership. You can either do this online or by mail (see "Notice of Vehicle Sale in Oregon" below).

Notice of Vehicle Sale in Oregon

Once you've sold your car, you need to inform the Oregon DMV so you're not liable for any charges associated with the vehicle in the future. The buyer will take care of registering and titling the car in their own name.

You can notify the OR Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division either by mail or online.

Lost or Stolen OR Certificate of Title

If the title certificate for the vehicle you're selling in Oregon is lost, damaged, or destroyed, you can request a duplicate from the OR DMV. To do so, you'll complete the Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515) and submit it to the Oregon DMV.

Every official owner of the vehicle has to sign the application. You will also need to pay a $101 to $192 fee for a replacement title.

For more information, see our Replacing a Lost Title in Oregon page.

Transfer, Surrender or Destroy License Plates After a Sale

You can transfer your license plates if:

  • They will be going on the same type of vehicle. (Example: RV plates can only be transferred to another RV).
  • Your plates are currently issued by DMV, (special or custom plates).
  • The plates are readable.

If you would rather to dispose of your old license plates, you can:

  • Recycle them after defacing or taking off and destroying the date stickers, or otherwise altering the plates so they can't be used.
  • Mail them to the the OR DMV headquarters in Salem:
      DMV Headquarters
      1905 Lana Avenue NE
      Salem, OR 97314
  • Take them in person to a DMV office.

Forms for Easy Download

Notice of Sale or Transfer of a Vehicle (Form 735-6890)

Vehicle Bill of Sale (Form 735-501)

Application for Replacement Title (Form 735-515)

Optional helpful links:


Application for Replacement Title
Application for a replacement OR vehicle title from the Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division.
Notice of Sale or Transfer of a Vehicle
Notify the Oregon DMV when you transfer ownership of a vehicle. This form IS NOT a bill of sale or release of interest.
Vehicle Bill of Sale
Use this form as a proof of purchase when transferring ownership of a vehicle in Oregon.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review