Boat Registration and Licenses in Oregon

Boat Registration and Licenses in Oregon

If you recently purchased a boat or moved to Oregon from out of state, you'll probably need to title and register it with the Oregon State Marine Board (OSMB).

Keep reading to learn about vessel titling and registration as well as the qualifications needed to operate watercraft on the Beaver State's waters.

OR Boats You Must Title & Register

The OR State Marine Board requires ALL motorized vessels AND sailboats 12 ft and longer to be titled AND registered.

You do NOT need to title and register:

  • Watercraft owned by the U.S. government (including documented vessels).
  • Boats from another country used temporarily on Oregon state waters.
  • Ships' lifeboats.
  • Vessels registered in another state not used on OR waters for more than 60 days consecutively.
  • Non-motorized watercraft, like:
    • Canoes.
    • Kayaks.
    • Rowboats.

If you're not sure if your vessel requires title and registration, contact an OSMB boat registration specialist for clarification.

Boat Registration in Oregon

In Oregon, you must apply for a vessel title and registration within 30 days of purchasing a boat. Title and registration applications received after 30 days are subject to a $25 penalty fee.

HIN Inspections

The following types of watercraft require a hull identification number (HIN) inspection from your local law enforcement agency's marine unit BEFORE they can be titled and registered:

  • Homebuilt boats.
  • Vessels never titled or registered in any state.
  • Boats previously registered in a non-titling state.
  • Vessels with incorrect hull identification numbers.

Once the inspection is complete, you'll receive a HIN Inspection Certificate—don't lose this!

NOTE: If your boat is brand new AND you have its Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, you do not need a HIN inspection.

Steps to Title & Register Your Boat

To title and register your boat with the Oregon State Marine Board, you'll need to provide the following items:

  • A completed Application for Boat Title and/or Registration (Form 250-R07).
  • An acceptable proof of ownership for:
    • Vessels purchased in-state:
      • New boats: Manufacturer's Statement of Origin.
      • Used boats: Boat title signed and dated by the buyer AND seller.
    • Previously out-of-state vessels from:
      • Titling states: Out-of-state title with all liens released.
      • Non-titling states: Current out-of-state registration card AND a bill of sale.
  • If applicable, your HIN Inspection Certificate.
  • Payment for the appropriate watercraft title and registration fees.

You can submit the required items above:

  • In person at an OSMB agency.
  • By mail to:
    • State Marine Board
    • P.O. Box 14145
    • Salem, OR 97309

Once you receive your vessel registration number and decals, refer to the OSMB's guide for correct placement of your boat's information.

Oregon Boat Registration & Title Fees

The costs to title and register your boat with the Oregon State Marine Board are as follows:

  • Initial AND renewal boat registration: varies by length.
    • Aquatic Invasive Species surcharge (in addition to original AND renewed registration fees): $5.
  • Original vessel title AND title transfers: $75.
    • Late title transfer penalty: $25.
  • Replacement:
    • Boat title: $25.
    • Registration card OR certificate of number: $15.
    • Validation decals: $15.

OR Vessel Renewals & Replacements

All boat registration certificates are valid for 2 calendar years. The OSMB will mail you a renewal notice before you registration expires.

You can renew vessel registration in any of the following ways:

Replace Lost Registration or Title

Are your boat registration, decals, or title are lost or damaged? Don't worry! You can request replacements:

  • Online by submitting information about your boat AND the necessary fees using the Oregon State Marine Board's RegLine system.
  • By mailing the appropriate replacement fees along with the applicable documents for:
    • A duplicate vessel title: A completed Replacement Boat Title Application (Form 250-041).
    • Duplicate boat registration OR decals: A written request for a replacement registration card and/or decals, which includes your name and mailing address AS WELL AS your vessel's certificate number.

To complete your request for replacements by mail, send the above items to:

  • Oregon State Marine Board
  • P.O. Box 14145
  • Salem, OR 97309

If you need a temporary permit to use your boat while waiting for replacement registration decals to arrive, you can present your vessel's title at any OSMB agency and get back on the water that day.

Oregon Boater Qualifications

The Oregon State Marine Board imposes the following age restrictions when it comes to operating watercraft on state waters. If you are:

  • 11 years old or younger, you CANNOT operate motorboats or personal watercraft of any kind.
  • 12 to 15 years old, you CAN operate motorized vessels with:
    • 10 horsepower or less without adult supervision, as long as you have a boater education card.
    • More than 10 horsepower IF you:
      • Have a boater education card.
      • Are supervised by an adult who has their own boater education card AND is at least:
        • 16 years old for motorboats.
        • 18 years old for personal watercraft.
  • At least 16 years old, you can operate personal watercraft AND motorboats with more than 10 horsepower, unsupervised, as long as you have a boater education card.

You can earn your boater education card by completing:

Then, you can apply for your card:

  • Online by providing proof you passed a course or equivalency exam AND the $20 boater card fee using the OSMB's RegLine system.
  • By mailing a completed Application for Oregon Boater Education Card AND a check or money order for the $20 card fee to:
    • Oregon State Marine Board
    • P.O. Box 14145
    • Salem, OR 97309

In some cases, you can save money on your boat insurance policy by taking a boating safety course. For more information, check out our Oregon boat insurance page.


Application for Boat Title and/or Registration Form
Request an original, transferred, or replacement boat title AND/OR registration from the Oregon State Marine Board.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review