Other Licenses & Endorsements in Oklahoma

Special Licenses in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) offers different endorsements and driver's license classes depending on the weight and size of the vehicle you want to drive.

On this page, you'll find an overview of some of the classes and endorsements available through the OK DPS.

If you need information about obtaining a regular driver's license, please visit our pages on the following topics:

Who Needs a Commercial License in Oklahoma?

You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) to drive:

  • A combination of vehicles whose actual, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,001 lbs. and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of over 10,000 lbs. (Class A license).
  • A single vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is over 26,001 lbs. (Class B license).
  • A vehicle designed to either transport at least 16 passengers (including the driver), or carry hazardous materials (Class C license).

If you need to apply for a commercial driver's license, be sure to visit our Applying for a New CDL in Oklahoma page.

Certain driving professions require having endorsements in addition to a CDL, while others don't require a CDL. We'll sort out some common scenarios below.

School Bus Drivers

School bus drivers must have a CDL, along with a passenger ("P") and a school bus ("S") endorsement.

Applicants also need to attend a workshop and may find out more about this requirement by contacting their local school district transportation office.

School bus drivers may also need to:

  • Have a clean criminal and driving record.
  • Pass a school bus knowledge test.
  • Take the driving skills test in a school bus.

For more information, please contact the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses not only come in a variety of styles and sizes, but are used in many different ways. Drivers may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger or other endorsements. Check with your potential employer to find out what is needed for your particular situation.

Taxi Drivers in Oklahoma

If you're a taxi driver in OK, you only need to have a valid driver's license, although local jurisdictions may impose additional requirements. Some municipalities may require you to:

  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Have a clean driving record.
  • Provide your fingerprints.
  • Become medically certified.
  • Pay a taxi licensing fee.

For more information, please contact the Oklahoma DMV.

Oklahoma Chauffeurs

While there aren't any statewide special requirements for chauffeurs, applicants may need to obtain additional certification (such as a para-transit certificate) or licensing, depending on where they live and the type of vehicle they'll be operating.

Sport Vehicles in Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, you aren't required to have a special license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or an off-road vehicle (OHV). However, if you're crossing a public road or highway in one of these vehicles, you'll need to have a driver's license.

Some vehicles may require you to hold a motorcycle endorsement. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Oklahoma page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review