New to Oklahoma

SUMMARY: New Oklahoma Residents

If you're new to Oklahoma, you'll need to complete a few transactions with the OK DPS once you become a resident of the state. To register your car and obtain an OK driver's license, you will need to visit your local DPS office in person with the required documents and payment for fees. If you're interested, you'll also need to register to vote and register as an organ donor.

This page will help you find all the information you need to complete your tasks with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS).

Oklahoma State Agencies

DMV-related services in Oklahoma are actually encompassed by two separate agencies:

  • The Department of Public Safety, which provides licensing and ID services.
  • The Motor Vehicle Division, which handles vehicle-specific services (registration, titling, etc.).

Additionally, the Oklahoma State Election Board governs voter registration and elections throughout the state, though you can still register to vote when you apply for an Oklahoma driver's license.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Register Your Car in Oklahoma

If you're a new resident to Oklahoma, you must register any out-of-state vehicles with the DPS within 30 days of your move. Failure to do so could result in penalties. For more information, visit our Car Registration in Oklahoma page.

Special Vehicle Registration

If you own a unique vehicle such as a motorhome, trailer, or even a moped, you'll need to register those vehicles with the DPS as well. Our guide to Special Vehicles in Oklahoma explains the process.

Required Car Insurance

Before your car can be registered in Oklahoma, you must provide proof of your insurance to the DPS. Moving states is a great time to compare auto insurance rates and make sure you're getting the best deal for your situation. For more information and compare quotes, visit our Car Insurance center.

Car Inspections

While there are no mandatory car inspections required in Oklahoma, you can learn all about controlling smog and improving the state's air quality on our section about Car Inspections in Oklahoma.

OK Driver's License/ID Cards

Once you become an Oklahoma resident, you will need to transfer your out-of-state driver's license to the DPS to avoid any penalties. You will need to visit your local OK DPS office in person, surrender your out-of-state driver's license, present all of the required documents, and pay the driver's license fee. You will need to pass the eye exam, and the written and road tests, if required.

Visit our Applying for a New License in Oklahoma page for more information.

If you're a teenager, you must meet all the requirements of the state's graduated driver's licensing (GDL) program before you will be eligible for an OK driver's license. Read more on our Applying for a New Teen License page.

If you need to apply for a commercial driver's license (CDL), follow the instructions on our Applying for a New CDL page.

Identification Cards

If you don't plan on driving in Oklahoma, you may want to apply for an identification card so you have a form of identification. You'll need to provide some required documents and payment, which you can learn more about on our Identification Cards in Oklahoma page.

Organ Donation & Voter Registration

If you were a registered organ donor in your previous state, you'll need to re-register with Oklahoma's donor registry. Your information won't automatically be updated in the system when you change states, so you'll have to register again once you're an OK resident. The process is quick and easy.

If you weren't registered as an organ donor before, visit our Organ Donation page to learn all about how this selfless act can save lives, and benefits others greatly.

Similarly, if you were registered to vote in your previous state, you'll need to re-register in Oklahoma once you're a resident. Be aware of the deadline dates to ensure you're eligible to vote at the next election. You can find more information on our Voter Registration page.

Military Members Stationed in Oklahoma

If you're not a resident of Oklahoma, but here temporarily on active-duty military service, you may be exempt from some of the state's driver's licensing and vehicle registration requirements. Find out more on our Drivers in the Military page.

DMV Office Location & Resources

When you're ready to head to the DMV, use our handy office finder tool and find your closest location.

Additional Helpful Resources:

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review