Drivers in the Military in Oklahoma

Oklahoma takes great pride in our members of the Armed Forces. The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety and the Oklahoma Tax Commission have taken steps to ensure that you and your family members can easily renew your automobile registration and driver licenses if you are currently on active duty outside of Oklahoma.

We have prepared answers for some of the most frequently asked questions by military personnel regarding driver license and registration and titling services.

My Oklahoma driver's license is about to expire and I am unable to get to Oklahoma to renew it. What can I do?

The Department of Public Safety has implemented a driver's license renewal by mail service. You may renew your Class D Oklahoma driver's license up to 1 year before it is set to expire or up to 3 years after it has expired by writing to:

    Department of Public Safety

    Service Oklahoma

    Renewal By Mail

    P.O. Box 11415

    Oklahoma City, OK 73136

    Please include the following items:

    • Full name.
    • Date of birth.
    • License number.
    • Oklahoma address.
    • Current address.
    • A cashier's check made payable to the Department of Public Safety in the amount of $38.50

    Plus a copy of any two of the following forms of ID:

    • Your expired driver's license.
    • Birth certificate.
    • Military ID.
    • Passport.
    • Social Security card.

    I am stationed outside of Oklahoma and have lost my driver's license. How can I get a replacement?

    Follow the same steps as above, but enclose a cashier's check or money order for $25 and state in your letter that you need a replacement driver's license.

    May I apply for a renewal or replacement driver's license online?

    The Department of Public Safety does not have online capabilities for renewals or replacement driver's license at this time.

    My family and I are going to be transferred overseas. How do we renew our Oklahoma licenses while we are away? I worry about mailing so much personal information such a long distance.

    Oklahoma law states that if you are active duty military or the spouse of an active duty service member living outside the continental U.S., your driver's licenses will remain valid for the duration of your overseas service and will remain valid for 60 days after your return to the U.S.

    My automobile registration will expire in just a few weeks. I am currently stationed outside of Oklahoma and would like to renew my car in Oklahoma, since I will return. How can I take care of this?

    You may renew your automobile registration by mail. Gather up the following vehicle information:

    • Renewal notice postcard or VIN.
    • Oklahoma title.
    • License plate number.
    • Proof of liability insurance.

    The Oklahoma Tax Commission has authorized a reduced registration rate of $26 for active-duty military plus a $1.50 insurance verification fee. A completed U.S. Armed Forces Affidavit (Form 779 )* which can be downloaded using the free Adobe Reader, properly attested to by an officer, must be submitted with your registration renewal request.

    Send the above information along with a cashier's check or money order to:

      Oklahoma Tax Commission

      Oklahoma City, OK 73194

      We look forward to having you back in Oklahoma once you return from active duty. We wish you and your family a safe and speedy return to the Sooner State.


      U.S. Armed Forces Affidavit
      Request a special annual registration fee from the Motor Vehicle Division if you or your spouse are in the U.S. Armed Forces. Must be signed by a commanding officer.
      DMV.ORG BBB Business Review