Disability Plates and Placards in Oklahoma

SUMMARY: Oklahoma Disability Plates & Placards

Placards and license plates for handicapped parking in Oklahoma are offered by two different agencies, the DPS and the OTC. You can apply for a disability placard from the DPS, which will require medical certification. There are both temporary and permanent placards available to you, in addition to permanent disability license plates. You will have to renew your disabled parking permit, and you can request a replacement if your placard or plate is lost or stolen.

Read below for more information about disability placards and plates in Oklahoma.

Types of OK Disability Permits

If you have a disability in Oklahoma, you have several options for handicapped parking permits:

  • The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) issues:
    • Temporary placards.
    • Permanent placards.
  • The Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC) issues:
    • Disability license plates.
    • Disabled veteran license plates.

Placards and plates can be used for disabled parking ONLY when you are in the car as the driver or a passenger. No one else can use your parking access.

Traveling with Disabilities

If you are visiting Oklahoma from another state, you DO NOT need an OK placard or plate as long as you have a valid permit from another U.S. state.

Apply for Oklahoma Disabled Parking

You can apply for a disabled parking placard or license plate by mail.

You must apply for and receive a long-term handicap placard BEFORE you can apply for a:

  • Disability license plate.
  • Disabled veteran license plate with disabled parking.

Disability Placards

Disabled parking placards are free.

To apply for a temporary or permanent placard, you will need the Physical Disability Parking Placard Application (Form DPS 302DC).

The application MUST include medical certification signed within the last 60 days by any of the following:

  • Licensed physician.
  • Osteopathic doctor, chiropractor, or podiatrist.
  • Optometrist.
  • Physician's assistant.
  • Licensed, certified advanced registered nurse practitioner.

Mail your application to:

Department of Public Safety
Driver Compliance Division - Disability Placards
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136

Applications take about 60 days to process, after which you will receive your handicap placard in the mail.

Disability License Plates

If you qualify for a long-term placard (valid for 5 years), you can also apply for a disability license plate once you have your placard.

License plates are issued by the Oklahoma OTC.

To apply for a disability license plate:

  • Complete the Physically Disabled License Plate Application (Form 750-C).
    • Be sure to include your placard number and expiration date.
  • Include the appropriate fee:
    • $5 mailing fee for a license plate for the back of your vehicle.
    • $10 for an additional license plate for the front of your vehicle plus the $5 mailing fee.

NOTE: You will also need to pay your vehicle registration fees.

License plate applications take about 20 business days to process.

Once you receive your disability license plates, you must keep your standard plates in your car.

Disabled Veteran Plates

To qualify for an Oklahoma disabled veteran plate, you must have:

  • A vehicle titled in your name OR be the primary driver of a vehicle.
  • A minimum 50% service-related disability.
  • A long-term disability placard.

To apply for a disabled veteran plate in Oklahoma:

  • Complete the Application for a Disabled American Veteran License Plate (Form 751-J).
    • Be sure to include your disability placard number.
  • Include one of the following documentation from the VA for vehicle registration:
    • Your Original Reduced Licensing Charge Card (Form 599), which will be returned to you.
    • A letter from the VA stating that you're eligible for vehicle registration.
  • A valid insurance verification form.
  • Pay the license plate fees:
    • Pick up in person: $6.50.
    • Receive by mail: $16.15.

Disabled veteran license plates take around 4 weeks to process.

Renew Disability Placards & Plates

You must renew your OK disability placard or license plate before it expires.

  • A temporary disability placard: Valid for up to 6 months and is based on your doctor's medical certification.
  • A permanent disability placard: Good for 5 years.

Contact the OK DPS at (405) 522-7000 for information about renewing your placard.

A disability license plate is valid for 1 year. To renew your plate, you must:

A disabled veteran plate is renewed by renewing your vehicle registration.

Replace an OK Handicap Permit

If your disability placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can send a written request for a replacement to the OK DPS at:

Department of Public Safety
Driver Compliance Division - Disability Placards
P.O. Box 11415
Oklahoma City, OK 73136

Replacements will have the original expiration date.

If you need to replace a license plate that is lost, stolen, or damaged, see our OK license plate page for information.


Application for a Disabled American Veteran License Plate
Apply for Disabled American Veteran license plates with the Oklahoma MVD.
Physical Disability Parking Placard Application
Motor Vehicle Division application for original, renewal, OR replacement OK disability parking placards. Must be completed by a doctor.
Physically Disabled License Plate Application
Apply for original OR renewed Oklahoma disability license plates. Must be signed by a physician.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review