Name Change in Oklahoma
Continue reading this page for instructions on how to change your name with the OK Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).
Change Your Name with the SSA
If you recently got married, divorced, or had a name change for any other reason, you must first update the Social Security Administration (SSA) and obtain an updated Social Security card.
NOTE: If you don't update your name with the SSA first, your driver's license name change request may be declined or delayed.
You will need to submit the following to your local SSA office either by mail or in person:
- Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your identity, such as your:
- Oklahoma driver's license.
- State-issued ID card.
- Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if required) OR lawful U.S. presence. This can include your:
- U.S. birth certificate.
- U.S. passport.
- Work permit and I-94.
- Proof of your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Court order.
- Divorce decree.
Once the SSA have processed and approved your request, you will receive an updated Social Security card in the mail within about 10 to 14 business days.
For a complete list of documents you'll need to submit for a new Social Security card, visit the SSA website.
OK Driver's License/ID Card Name Change
To change the name on your Oklahoma driver's license or ID card, you'll need to notify the OK Department of Public Safety in writing within 10 days of the name change.
If your current name is different than that of your identification documents, you'll need to go into your local DPS office and provide the following documentation, showing your present or future name change:
- Primary identification (see the DPS' list of approved documents).
- Secondary identification (see a list of acceptable documents)
- Official proof of name change, like:
- Divorce decree.
- Adoption decree.
- Name change decree.
- Birth certificate/record.
- Marriage license or affidavit of common law marriage.
Car Title and Registration Name Change
To change your name on your car title certificate and registration, you'll need to complete a title transfer with your previous name as the seller, and your new name as the buyer.
You will need to visit your local OK MVD in person to complete this transaction. You will likely need:
- Your certificate of title, with the appropriate sections completed.
- Proof of your name change.
- Payment for the $17 ownership transfer fee.
Fees to Change Your Name in OK
To change your name on your Oklahoma driver's license and vehicle title, you will need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license: $25.
- Title certificate: $17.
For more information, contact the Oklahoma DPS or MVD.
Change Your Oklahoma Address
If you've changed your address, you may be able to update the OK Department of Public Safety (DPS) records online. This will change your driver's license record only.
To change your address on your vehicle registration, you'll need to do this through the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Division (MVD.
For more information, visit our Change of Address in Oklahoma page.
Application for a Social Security Card - SS-5
Request a new, replacement, OR corrected Social Security card.