Commercial Driver FAQs in Oklahoma

Here you'll find some of the most frequently asked questions regarding your CDL concerns.

What is a commercial driver's license? What vehicles are considered commercial vehicles?

A commercial driver's license (CDL) is a special license issued by the State of Oklahoma that will allow you to drive certain types of vehicles. You must have a CDL in order to drive:

  • A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.
  • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. if the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is 26,001 lbs. or more.
  • Any size vehicle that is required to show Hazardous Materials placards.

Do I need a CDL to drive a recreational vehicle or to tow a camping trailer behind my pickup truck?

No. If the combined weight is lower than those weights listed above, you do not need a CDL.

Are there age limits for a CDL?

If you wish to drive a commercial vehicle within Oklahoma only, you must be 18 years old. If you wish to drive interstate (outside of Oklahoma) you must be 21 years old.

What kind of testing will I have to take in order to get my CDL?

First, you will be required to take and pass (with at least an 80% or better) a general knowledge test. If you plan to drive a bus, you will be required to take and pass a passenger transport test.

There are also specific tests for doubles/triples, for vehicles with air brakes, for tankers, and for hazardous materials transport.

Refer to our Commercial Driver Education section for detailed information about testing.

I'm planning to drive a school bus. Is there a section of the Commercial Driver's Manual just for me?

Yes there is! Take a look at the Supplement for Bus Drivers.

It has all the additional information you'll need to become a bus driver in the state of Oklahoma.

I need to transport an oversize load within Oklahoma. Where do I apply for the proper permits?

Just visit the Size and Weights Permits Page on the Department of Public Safety's website for more information on oversize load permits. You may apply online for the oversize permit if your load falls within the size and weight categories indicated.

If I fail any of my testing for my CDL, am I still required to pay a fee?

Yes and no. You will not have to pay a fee on the day that you take and fail a test. However, if you decide to re-take the test and pass, you will be charged $4 for each time you took the test and failed. This is known as the "fail fee."

I need to transport hazardous materials for my job, but I don't need to drive anything larger than a standard pickup truck. Is it true that I need a CDL to do this?

Yes. The law in the State of Oklahoma states that if you drive any size vehicle that requires Hazardous Materials placards, you must have a CDL. In addition, you must apply for a background check and fingerprinting through the federal TSA. This costs $86.50 and is good for 5 years.

I want to drive a shuttle bus for my church. The bus holds 10 people, plus the driver. Do I need a CDL?

No. You are only required to hold a CDL if your bus is designed to carry 16 passengers or more, including the driver.

Please note that if your bus is designed for 16 passengers or more, but you never carry that many, you will still need a CDL if you're driving it for hire (either for pay or volunteer). The requirement is based on the vehicle size, not the usual passenger numbers.

I see the listing of Tag Agents in Oklahoma, do I need to go to one of these for my testing?

No, you may contact the tag agent, the local police department, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, or your local Sheriff's Office to get the dates, places, and times of testing in your area. You will need to go to a tag agent to get your license and pay all applicable fees, though.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review