Car Registration in Oklahoma

SUMMARY: How to Register Your Car in Oklahoma

You must register your vehicle, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles, in person when you move to Oklahoma or buy a new vehicle. Registration fees vary based on several factors. U.S. military members qualify for reduced registration fees.

Keep reading for details about registering your vehicle in Oklahoma.

New to Oklahoma?

When you move to Oklahoma, you have 30 days to title and register your vehicle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC).

BEFORE you apply for a title certificate and registration, you'll need to get OK car insurance.

For a list of application requirements, see below.

Register Your Vehicle in OK

When you buy a vehicle in OK, you must title and register it in person at your local OTC tag agent office.

Make sure you have an active car insurance policy when registering your vehicle.

Compare rates and buy your policy online: Visit the Insurance Center >>

You will need:

  • A completed Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).
  • Proof of ownership, such as:
    • Your out-of-state title, if you're new to OK.
    • The manufacturer's certificate of origin for a new vehicle.
    • The current title, transferred to you, for a used vehicle that you've bought.
  • Proof of your Oklahoma car insurance.
  • Your license plate from your previous vehicle, if applicable.
  • Payment for title and registration fees.
  • Lien documentation IF your vehicle is financed.
  • An odometer disclosure statement IF the vehicle is model year 2011 or newer.
    • This can be included on the transferred title.

If your vehicle is used or you've brought it from another state, the tag agent will perform a vehicle identification number (VIN) and/or odometer inspection before the OTC issues your title certificate.

License Plates

You'll get an Oklahoma license plate when you register your vehicle. License plates stay with the owner; so if and when you buy a new vehicle, you'll need to transfer your existing plate to it.

The OTC issues standard license plates as well as several special license plates, such as personalized plates and tags for organizations and military veterans.

If you're eligible, you can also apply for a disabled parking plate.

Fees to Register Your Vehicle in OK

The fee to register your vehicle is based on several factors. For accepted forms of payment, contact your local Oklahoma tag agent office.

The first time you register a vehicle in OK, you'll pay:

  • A title fee: $11.
  • A registration fee:
    • $96 for a motor vehicle.
    • $99 for a motorcycle.

You may ALSO have to pay:

  • A title transfer fee for a vehicle you've just bought: $17.
  • A VIN inspection fee for used or out-of-state vehicles: $4.
  • A lien processing fee, if your vehicle is financed.
  • A postage fee: $5 to mail a license plate.
  • Excise tax if you're transferring ownership.

Contact the OTC at (800) 522-8165, ext. 1-3101, for a fee total or to inquire about fees that may apply to you.

The OTC offers reduced registration fees to several groups. People who have modified a vehicle for a physical disability, will pay a reduced fee.

Military members and disabled veterans also get reduced fees. See below for details.

Military Member Car Registrations

Active duty members of the United States military stationed in Oklahoma can get reduced fees and have different car insurance requirements.

Car Registration Fees for Military Personnel

If you're in the military and stationed in Oklahoma or are an OK resident, you can receive a reduced registration rate of $26.

To get the reduced rate, you must complete and submit the U.S. Armed Forces Affidavit (Form 779)* along with your other required registration documents.

Disabled veterans qualify for a $5 registration fee. See Disability Placards & Plates for more information about disabled veteran plates.

Insurance for Military Members

You must have proof of car insurance in OK when you register your vehicle with the OTC.

However, if you're an Oklahoma resident stationed in another state, you can present proof of insurance in that state.

Furthermore, if you're stationed in OK but normally live in another state, you can show proof of insurance from your home state.

Register Other Types of Vehicles

In Oklahoma, you must register other types of vehicles, including motorcycles and boats.

The registration processes are similar, but the OTC may require different or additional documentation for certain types of vehicles.

Visit our Motorcycle Registration and Boat Registration pages for complete details.

For other types of vehicles, such as all-terrain vehicles or trailers, see our Other Vehicle Registrations in Oklahoma page.


Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle
MVD application for an Oklahoma vehicle title. Must be notarized.
U.S. Armed Forces Affidavit
Request a special annual registration fee from the Motor Vehicle Division if you or your spouse are in the U.S. Armed Forces. Must be signed by a commanding officer.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review