Paperwork When Selling a Car in Oklahoma
Custom Oklahoma Bill of Sale for $4.99
Simplifing the sale of a vehicle between private parties. Just enter the info, then download and print. It's that easy!
- State specific for your transaction
- Quick auto-fill feature
- Just fill out, print, and sign
Documents Required to Sell Your Car in Oklahoma
The legal process of selling a car in Oklahoma involves transferring ownership of the vehicle from the seller to the buyer. As the seller, you will be responsible for a number steps, including:
- Assigning and notarizing the vehicle's Oklahoma certificate of title.
- Releasing any active liens.
- Obtaining an odometer disclosure statement.
- Providing a bill of sale to the buyer.
Selling your car will also involve submitting various documents to the buyer who will then register the car in their name with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC). This page gives you a rundown of all the forms you will need to complete and who to submit it to.
For more information and advice about preparing for the sale and successfully undergoing the legal process, consult this comprehensive guide.
Required Documents in Oklahoma
When you sell your car in Oklahoma, you will need to provide the following forms to the buyer to complete the title transfer.
- Assignment of title by registered owner: Located on the reverse side of the official vehicle title. The document requests basic information about the vehicle, such as the purchaser's name and address, purchase price, and odometer reading. Both you and the buyer must sign and print your names at the bottom of the document in the presence of a notary.
- Proof of lien release: If the car title has active liens on it, you will need to have them properly released and provide evidence to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. Failure to do so will result in the active lien being transferred right along with the new car title.
- Vehicle registration: Unless the car title is a salvage or junk title, you will need to provide your current registration to complete the title transfer. The former registration will be cancelled and the buyer will submit a completed application to have the vehicle registered in their name.
- Odometer disclosure statement: Required for vehicles 9 years old or newer. The odometer disclosure statement is typically listed on the certificate ownership assignment, you can also download a separate Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 729).
- Proof of purchase price: You must provide a purchase contract, an Oklahoma bill of sale, or a Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price (Form 722-1).
Duplicate Title in Oklahoma
You can replace a missing Oklahoma car title by filling out the Application for Replacement Certificate of Title for Vehicle/Boat/Motor (Form 701-7) and mailing or personally delivering the completed form to an Oklahoma tag agency. A complete application must also include either your current Oklahoma registration or proof of your out-of-state residency.
There is an $11 fee for the duplicate title, with an additional $1.50 mailing fee if applicable.
For more information about replacing a lost or stolen certificate of title, see our Replacing a Lost Title in Oklahoma page.
Duplicate Registration in Oklahoma
If you have lost your registration, you can request a replacement before you sell your car. If it is due for renewal, you may be able to simply renew it instead of ordering a duplicate.
For more information, see our Replacing a Lost Registration in Oklahoma page.
Forms for Easy Download
Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form 729)
Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price (Form 722-1)
Optional helpful links: