Boat Registration and Licenses in Oklahoma

Boat Registration and Licensing in Oklahoma

All boat registration and titles are processed through the Oklahoma Tax Commission's (OTC) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).

If you need information about titling and registering vessels AND the requirements to operate watercraft on OK waters, you've come to the right place.

OK Boats You Must Title & Register

ALL boats used as a means of transportation on Oklahoma state waters with an outboard motor of more than 10 HP MUST have an OK title and registration.

Exceptions to the titling and registration rule include:

  • Canoes and kayaks propelled by paddles only.
  • Paddleboat's less than 8 ft long, propelled only by humans (with the assistance of a belt, chain, or gears).
  • Boats not registered in Oklahoma, using OK state waters for no more than 60 calendar days over the course of 1 calendar year.
  • Watercraft owned by an entity of the U.S. government.
  • Lifeboats.
  • Vessels involved in a race.
  • Commercial flotation devices.

Call the MVD at (405) 521-3221 if you're not sure whether your watercraft requires a title and registration.

Title & Register Your Vessel in OK

BEFORE submitting a title and registration application, the individual or dealer selling you the boat needs to complete a notarized Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation (Form BM-10).

Then, you can title and register your boat with the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Division, by providing the following at your local MVD office:

You have the option of registering your vessel for 1 year OR 3 years— boat registrations are valid from July 1st to June 30th of the final registration year.

Oklahoma Boat Title & Registration Fees

Oklahoma's boat title and registration fees can be a doozy to try and calculate on your own—consider contacting the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-3221 for assistance.

The fees to title and register your boat with the OK MVD are as follows:

  • Original/renewal vessel registration fees—Varies by original retail price, and CANNOT exceed $151.
  • Boat title fee: $2.25.
    • Title application fee: $1.25.
  • Duplicate:
    • Title: $2.25.
    • Registration: $9.
  • Excise tax for:
    • New boats: 3.25% of the purchase price.
    • Used boats: 35% decrease in the taxable amount by the vessel's age.

Oklahoma Boat Registration Renewal

You have the option of registering your boat for 1 year or 3 years. The Oklahoma MVD will send you a renewal notice by mail OR email (depending on what you prefer) before your vessel's expiration date.

You can renew your boat's registration by providing your renewal notice AND the necessary fees:

  • Online at the OkCARS website.
  • In person at your local MVD agency.
  • By mail to the address indicated on the renewal notice.

If you have questions regarding the renewal of your boat's registration, call the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-3217.

Duplicate OK Vessel Title & Registration

If you lost or damaged your OK boat registration decals OR certificate of title, provide the applicable items below at your local MVD office branch to request duplicates:

Oklahoma Boater Requirements

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Marine Enforcement Section requires all operators 12 to 15 years old to have a boating safety certificate in order to operate:

  • A motorboat with greater than 10 HP.
  • A sailboat 16 ft or longer.
  • Personal watercraft (PWC).

You can complete the boating education requirement by completing a course:

If you still have questions about Oklahoma's boater education requirements, call the Marine Enforcement Section's Boater Safety Education line at (918) 681-4959.


Application for Certificate of Title for a Boat or Outboard Motor
Apply for an OK boat or outboard motor title with the Motor Vehicle Division.
Affidavit for Replacement License Plate/Decal Annual Boat/Outboard Motor Decal
Use this form to request replacement vehicle license plates, vehicle decals, boat decals, OR motor decals from the OK Motor Vehicle Division. Form must be notarized
Application for Replacement Certificate of Title for Vehicle/Boat/Motor
Request a replacement vehicle, boat, OR motor title from the OK Motor Vehicle Division. Requires a notary's signature.
Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation
Fill out this MVD form to confirm a boat's hull identification number or serial number is correct before titling or transferring ownership of it. Must be signed by a notary.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review