Boat Registration and Licenses in Oklahoma
Boat Registration and Licensing in Oklahoma
All boat registration and titles are processed through the Oklahoma Tax Commission's (OTC) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD).
If you need information about titling and registering vessels AND the requirements to operate watercraft on OK waters, you've come to the right place.
OK Boats You Must Title & Register
ALL boats used as a means of transportation on Oklahoma state waters with an outboard motor of more than 10 HP MUST have an OK title and registration.
Exceptions to the titling and registration rule include:
- Canoes and kayaks propelled by paddles only.
- Paddleboat's less than 8 ft long, propelled only by humans (with the assistance of a belt, chain, or gears).
- Boats not registered in Oklahoma, using OK state waters for no more than 60 calendar days over the course of 1 calendar year.
- Watercraft owned by an entity of the U.S. government.
- Vessels involved in a race.
- Commercial flotation devices.
Call the MVD at (405) 521-3221 if you're not sure whether your watercraft requires a title and registration.
Title & Register Your Vessel in OK
BEFORE submitting a title and registration application, the individual or dealer selling you the boat needs to complete a notarized Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation (Form BM-10).
Then, you can title and register your boat with the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Division, by providing the following at your local MVD office:
- A completed:
- Boat or Outboard Motor Serial Number Confirmation (Form BM-10).
- A proof of ownership for:
- New boats: Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
- Transferring ownership of a boat previously titled/registered in Oklahoma: Properly assigned vessel title AND registration.
- Vessels previously titled/registered out-of-state:
- Staying with the same owner: Boat title OR if from a non-titling state, the registration.
- Transferring to a different owner: Properly assigned boat title OR, if from a non-titling state, the registration AND a notarized bill of sale.
- Payment for the appropriate boat title and registration fees.
You have the option of registering your vessel for 1 year OR 3 years— boat registrations are valid from July 1st to June 30th of the final registration year.
Oklahoma Boat Title & Registration Fees
Oklahoma's boat title and registration fees can be a doozy to try and calculate on your own—consider contacting the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-3221 for assistance.
The fees to title and register your boat with the OK MVD are as follows:
- Original/renewal vessel registration fees—Varies by original retail price, and CANNOT exceed $151.
- Boat title fee: $2.25.
- Title application fee: $1.25.
- Title: $2.25.
- Registration: $9.
- Excise tax for:
- New boats: 3.25% of the purchase price.
- Used boats: 35% decrease in the taxable amount per each 1 year of the vessel's age.
Oklahoma Boat Registration Renewal
You have the option of registering your boat for 1 year or 3 years. The Oklahoma MVD will send you a renewal notice by mail OR email (depending on what you prefer) before your vessel's expiration date.
You can renew your boat's registration by providing your renewal notice AND the necessary fees:
- In person at your local MVD agency.
- By mail to the address indicated on the renewal notice.
If you have questions regarding the renewal of your boat's registration, call the Motor Vehicle Division at (405) 521-2913.
Duplicate OK Vessel Title & Registration
If you lost or damaged your OK boat registration decals OR certificate of title, provide the applicable items below at your local MVD office branch to request duplicates:
- A completed:
- Affidavit for Replacement License Plate/Decal Annual Boat/Outboard Motor Decal (Form 797-D) for replacement registration decals.
- Application for Replacement Certificate of Title for Vehicle/Boat/Motor (Form 701-7) for a replacement vessel title.
- You'll need to present your watercraft's OK registration card with the duplicate title application.
- A valid form of identification.
- The necessary duplicate title/registration fees.
Oklahoma Boater Requirements
The Oklahoma Highway Patrol's Marine Enforcement Section requires all operators 12 to 15 years old to have a boating safety certificate in order to operate:
- A motorboat with greater than 10 HP.
- A sailboat 16 ft or longer.
- Personal watercraft (PWC).
You can complete the boating education requirement by completing a course:
- In the classroom with an approved education provider below:
- Online with a NASBLA-approved internet education provider.
If you still have questions about Oklahoma's boater education requirements, call the Marine Enforcement Section's Boater Safety Education line at (405) 522-1887.