Applying for a New CDL in Oklahoma

Driving a semi-truck, school bus, or other commercial vehicle is a great way to make a living in Oklahoma—but in order to do so, you will first have to get your OK commercial driver's license (CDL). Since these types of vehicles are larger and typically more difficult to operate than average cars and trucks, getting a CDL is a bit more involved than applying for a regular driver's license.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) sets all commercial driver license regulations nationwide, and the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) oversees the CDL process in Oklahoma.


Per new federal entry-level driver training requirements effective February 7, 2022, the OK Department of Public Safety now mandates new CDL applicants complete an entry-level driver training course through an authorized provider. You’ll need to complete this training prior to applying for your first commercial driver’s license, upgrading your existing CDL class, or applying for a HAZMAT, school bus, or passenger endorsement.

Who Can Get An OK CDL?

To be eligible for an Oklahoma commercial driver license, you must:

  • Already have a valid, non-CDL driver's license.
  • Provide proof of legal presence in the United States:
    • 1 document proving U.S. citizenship/permanent resident status. Examples include:
      • Valid U.S. passports.
      • Certified birth certificates.
      • A certificate of naturalization.
    • 2 documents showing Oklahoma residency. Examples include:
      • Copies of an OK tax return.
      • Current and valid life, health, or car insurance policies.
      • Current deeds or mortgage statements.

For a full list of acceptable documents, see the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety's page on CDL ID requirements.

Per rules set by the FMCSA, CDL drivers under 21 years old are only permitted to drive commercial vehicles within Oklahoma.

Commercial Learner's Permits in OK

Before you can get your CDL in Oklahoma, you'll have to get your commercial learner's permit (CLP). You may want to look into a commercial driver license training course to help you pass all the necessary tests.

Once you're ready, schedule an appointment with your local Oklahoma DPS office. You'll have to bring:

  • Your valid license.
  • Proof of U.S. permanent residency.
  • Proof of Oklahoma residency.
  • The proper medical documents.
  • The appropriate fee.

Your driving record for the past 10 years in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. will be checked while at your appointment.

You will also have to fill out any paperwork or applications given to you at the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Take the appropriate written exams for the type of CDL you're applying for. Once you pass them, you will be issued your Oklahoma commercial learner's permit.

Oklahoma CLP Restrictions

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires all CLP holders to have their commercial learner's permit for at least 14 days before applying for a full CDL.

While driving with your CLP, you will also be restricted to driving on public roads, with a full CDL holder accompanying you.

Apply for an OK Commercial Driver License

To turn your CLP into a CDL, you'll have to take the skills/road test. Oklahoma skills tests are by appointment only. You can use the OK "Save Your Spot" to schedule your appointment online. You can also schedule an appointment for your skills test with a third party vendor

Bring with you to your appointment:

  • Your valid driver's license.
  • Your OK commercial learner's permit.
  • The appropriate fee (see below) for the type of CDL you're testing for.

Try to arrange to take your skills test in the same type of vehicle you hope to operate with your commercial driver license. If you can not, there may be a restriction placed on your Oklahoma CDL.

Military CDL Holders In Oklahoma

Some service members or veterans may be eligible to have their skills test requirement waived if they have 2 years experience driving commercial vehicles or their equivalent. This experience must be show immediately preceding the application.

You and your commanding officer will also have to fill out the Application for Military Skills Test Waiver (Form CDL-ST WVR).

See our guide to the military skills test waiver for more information.

OK CDL Medical Requirements

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration requires all commercial vehicle drivers to be medically certified. To comply, you will have to schedule an appointment with your doctor, and have him or her help you fill out:

You'll also need to report your medical status to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety through a process called self-certification. For more details on how to self-certify with the OK DPS, see its general information page and frequently asked questions.

Once you're deemed physically fit for the job, you will have to keep a valid Medical Examiner's Certificate with you at all times while operating a commercial motor vehicle.

Oklahoma CDL Classifications

There are several different classes of CDL designated by the FMCSA, each of which giving you permission to drive different types of commercial vehicles in Oklahoma, including:

  • Class A CDL—Allows you to operate multiple vehicles over a certain weight, such as a tractor-trailer.
  • Class B CDL—Permits you to drive a single vehicle over a certain weight, like a box truck.
  • Class C CDL—Applies to all other types of commercial vehicle not covered by Class A or Class B CDLs.

Depending on the type of commercial driver's license you apply for, you will have to take different written and skill exams and pay slightly different fees to the OK Department of Public Safety.

Our page on CDL Classifications has more information.

CDL Endorsements & Restrictions

An endorsement can be added to your CDL to give you permission to drive a larger number of vehicles. You can get an endorsement by taking additional tests at the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety and paying the appropriate fees.

Some endorsements offered by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration will allow you to drive:

You can also have a restriction placed on your commercial driver license, which will limit the number of vehicles you can drive.

You may have a restriction on your CDL if:

  • You can not drive a manual transmission.
  • You can not operate full air brakes.
  • You do not pass certain medical requirements.

Restrictions can typically be removed from your commercial driver's license through additional testing, paperwork, and/or fees.

For more information, see our guide to endorsements and restrictions.

CDL Fees In Oklahoma

The OK DPS currently charges the following for commercial driver licenses and related services:

  • Class A CDLs:
    • Application fee: $25.
    • License fee: $56.50.
  • Class B CDLs:
    • Application fee: $15.
    • License fee: $56.50.
  • Class C CDLs:
    • Application fee: $15.
    • License fee: $46.50.
  • Retest fee: $4.
  • CDL replacement fee: $25.


Application for Military Skills Test Waiver
Request a CDL skills test waiver from the OK Department of Public Safety if you recently drove a commercial vehicle during your time in the military.
Medical Examination Report
CDL applicants must submit this medical examination to the Department of Public Safety when applying for an OK commercial driver's license. Must be completed by a doctor.
Medical Examiners Certificate
Certain types of Oklahoma commercial drivers must submit and carry this medical certificate. Form must be completed by a doctor.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review