Replacing a Lost Registration in Ohio

Replacing a Lost Registration in Ohio

If your registration card, license plates, or license plate stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to request a replacement from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).

The process is fairly simple and involves an application form and payment of a replacement fee.

The BMV offers several options for requesting duplicate or replacement registration materials, including an online option.

If you need a duplicate vehicle title, see our page Replacing a Lost Title in Ohio.

How to Replace an OH Registration

The Ohio BMV issues replacement registrations, license plates, and stickers if your originals are lost, stolen, or damaged.

You will be required to pay a fee for the duplicate item.

You can request replacements:

  • Online.
  • By mail.
  • In person.

Fees for Replacements

The fees for replacements are:

  • $4.50 for a registration card.
  • $4.50 for a sticker with a registration card.
  • $10.50 for 1 license plate.
  • $11.75 for 2 license plates.

License plate fees vary for different types of vehicles and special license plates.

NOTE: If your registration is due for renewal, you should renew your registration to get a new card and sticker. You can also request duplicate license plates when you renew.


You may request replacements online through OPLATES. To complete the request online, you will need:

  • Your license plate number.
  • The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • The reason you need a replacement.
  • A form of payment. The BMV accepts:
    • VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express cards.
    • Electronic checks.

Be sure that your address is up to date. If it is not, you must update your address before you request replacements.

Once you have completed your transaction, your items should arrive within 10 business days.

By Mail

To order replacements by mail, you'll need to:

Send the application and your payment to the address on the form.

Make sure that:

  • The BMV has your correct address before applying for replacements.
  • You have a Power of Attorney from your leasing company IF the vehicle is leased.

In Person

You can also request replacements in person at your local deputy registrar's office. You will need:

  • A form of identification.
  • Power of Attorney from your finance company IF you're leasing the vehicle.
  • Payment for fees. BMV offices accept:
    • Cash.
    • Personal checks, cashiers checks, and traveler's checks.
    • Money orders.
    • County agency and in intra-state agency vouchers.

Reporting a Lost OH Registration

When you request a replacement registration, license plate, or sticker from the BMV, you are also reporting that it was lost, stolen, or damaged.

To help prevent illegal use of lost or stolen items, your license plate will be replaced with a new one (along with a new registration card to match). Personalized plates will be marked to indicate that they have been reissued.

While the BMV's measures can help prevent fraudulent use of lost or stolen registration cards or license plates, you may also want to report the loss or theft to your local police to further prevent fraud, including identity theft.

A police report can also help you if you are stopped by the police for not having a valid license plate, or if you are in an accident and don't yet have your duplicate registration card.

Be sure to request replacements and report the loss or theft right away so that you aren't at risk of being stopped or getting caught without the documents you need.


BMV 4809
Application for Duplicate Registration Card, Transfer, Replacement Plates / Validation Sticker
Request registration transfer, duplicate registration card, OR replacement Ohio license plates.

Related Products and Services

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through DMV.ORG