Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Ohio

Mopeds, motorized bicycles, and motor scooters are fun to ride, but sometimes it can be tricky to know whether or not these vehicles are legal. Fortunately, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles has clear definitions for these vehicles and their legal requirements.

OH Mopeds & Motorized Bicycles

Mopeds and motorized bicycles belong to the same classification according to the Ohio BMV. To be street-legal in Ohio, mopeds must have:

  • 2 wheels in tandem, or 1 wheel on the front of the vehicle and 2 wheels in the back.
  • Working foot-pedals.
  • A rear license plate.
  • A motor that has:
    • Produces more than 1 brake horsepower.
    • A piston displacement of 50 cc or less.
    • The power to propel the vehicle at a top speed of 20 MPH on flat ground.

Licensed drivers can ride a moped or motorized bicycle as long as:

  • The moped is registered.
    • Ohio DOES NOT require titling for mopeds.
  • It has at least 1 rear view mirror attached.
  • You wear a helmet with a chinstrap IF you’re under 18 years old).
  • You stay within 3 feet of the right side of the roadway (when possible).

If you DO NOT have a standard Ohio driver’s license, you’ll need to get a moped license. Keep reading for details on licensing as well as registering your moped.

Moped Licenses in Ohio

All you need to ride a moped or motorized bicycle in Ohio is a basic auto license.

If you don’t have your license, you can instead get your moped license by visiting a BMV office and providing documents with proof* of your:

  • Birthdate.
  • Full name.
  • Social security number.

You will also need to bring payment for either the $21 moped license fee OR $22.50 moped permit fee, which applies if you are 14 or 15 years old or do not have a valid license.

You’ll also have to pass a:

  • Vision test.
  • Knowledge test.
  • Road test.

When you pass the tests and get your moped license, you’ll be able to ride your moped on public roads as long as you:

  • Wear a helmet and eye-protection.
  • Avoid interstates and high-traffic roads.
  • Ride with no passengers.

*The BMV has a complete list of acceptable documents on their website.

OH Moped & Motorized Bike Registration

To ride a moped or motorized bicycle on public streets, you’ll first need to register your vehicle in person at the BMV.

Visit your local BMV office with:

When you are issued your plate, display it on the rear of your moped.

Motor Scooters in Ohio

A motor scooter or motor-driven cycle is a vehicle that has:

  • 3 wheels or fewer.
  • A seat for the rider.
  • A motor that has:
    • A piston displacement of between 50 CC and 100 CC.
    • A maximum of 5 brake horsepower.
    • The ability to propel the vehicle faster than 20 MPH.

If you ride a motor scooter in Ohio, you must have a motorcycle license or endorsement, and are required to follow all the traffic and safety laws that apply to motorcycles.

For information on getting your license to operate a motor scooter, check out our page on motorcycle licensing in Ohio.

To be ridden in Ohio, your motor scooter must be:

  • Registered.
  • Insured.
  • Titled.

We’ll help you learn how to title your vehicle below.

OH Motor Scooter Titling

Need to register a motor scooter?

Registration for OH motor scooters is just like registering a motorcycle. 

Jump to our page on motorcycle registration in Ohio for all the info you need.

To title your motor scooter in Ohio, visit your local title office with:

Unconventional OH Vehicles

Your local government is in charge of authorizing the use of unconventional vehicles on Ohio roads. Please contact local law enforcement to learn the laws regarding:

  • Low-speed vehicles (LSV).
  • Utility vehicles (UV).
  • Under-speed vehicles (USV), which includes golf carts.
  • Mini trucks (MT).

These vehicles are required to be equipped with a:

  • Windshield.
  • Functioning steering system.
  • Rear view mirror.
  • Safe and working sets of:
    • Tires.
    • Headlights and tail lights.
    • Turn signals.
    • Brakes.

If you plan to title any of the above vehicles, you’ll need to provide proof of inspection by law enforcement.

Generally, if law enforcement in your jurisdiction allows these vehicles, you can register them by providing:

  • Your valid Ohio driver’s license.
  • Your Social Security number (SSN) or tax identification number (if the vehicle is titled under a business).
  • The vehicle’s certificate of title OR title memorandum.


BMV 3774
Application for Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle
Request an original, duplicate, replacement, memorandum, OR salvage Ohio Certificate of Title for your vehicle.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review