Green Driver State Incentives in Ohio
Ohio's co-friendly drivers can take advantage of a few money-saving, green driver incentives. If you're on the fence about buying an eco-friendly car, or already driving a fuel-efficient vehicle such as a hybrid or an electric car, read more below on emissions test exemptions, alternative fuel vehicle grants, federal tax credits, auto insurance discounts, and more.
Emissions Test Exemptions for Electric Cars
Ohio only tests emissions on vehicles powered by gasoline or diesel fuel (including flexible fuel vehicles and hybrids). Therefore, fully electric vehicles are exempt. For more on emissions test requirements and exemptions, refer to our page on Ohio vehicle inspections.
If your vehicle requires an emissions test, find the nearest inspection station with the locator widget at the bottom of this page.
OH Alternative Fuel Transportation Grant Program
Ohio's Alternative Fuel Transportation Grant Program provides funding to businesses, nonprofit organizations, public school systems, and local governments for:
- Buying and installing alternative fuel refueling or distribution facilities and terminals; Maximum incentive of 80% of facility or terminal cost, with the remaining 20% paid for by the recipient (and no other source).
- Buying and using alternative fuel. Maximum incentive of 80% of fuel cost or incremental cost of blended biodiesel (at least 20% biodiesel) or blended gasoline (at least 85% ethanol).
- Paying the cost of fleet conversion.
- Paying the costs of educational and promotional materials and activities to encourage alternative fuel use.
OH developed this program to improve the state's air quality. See the specifics in the Ohio Revised Code 122.075.
CNG Vehicle Weight Allowance
Ohio allows compressed natural gas vehicles to exceed the state weight limits by up to 2,000 lbs except when it comes to interstate highways and highways, roads, and bridges subject to reduced maximum weights. Refer to Ohio Revised Code 5577.044 for specifics.
Federal Tax Credits for Owners of Fuel-Efficient Cars
Buying a new alternative energy vehicle, such as a hybrid or electric car, could earn you a number of federal tax credits.
Eligible fuel-efficient vehicles include:
- Plug-in hybrids (PEV).
- Electric cars.
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
Depending on your OH car insurance provider, you might be able to get an auto insurance discount for driving an eco-friendly vehicle or engaging in green-driving practices.
Just a few examples of potential car insurance discounts include:
- Hybrid auto discounts.
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
- Economy car discounts.
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Pay-as-you-drive discounts.
Stay Current with the Latest Ohio Green Driver Incentives
Green driver incentives and related eco-friendly vehicle laws will continue to evolve as Ohio focuses even more on environmental issues. In addition to checking back with DMV.ORG, also consult your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) office and the Alternative Fuels Data Center to keep pace with the latest.
Find a Nearby Ohio Emissions Testing Station
Locate the closest OH smog and emissions testing station with the widget below: