Green Driver State Incentives in Ohio

On This Page

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Ohio's co-friendly drivers can take advantage of a few money-saving, green driver incentives. If you're on the fence about buying an eco-friendly car, or already driving a fuel-efficient vehicle such as a hybrid or an electric car, read more below on emissions test exemptions, alternative fuel vehicle grants, federal tax credits, auto insurance discounts, and more.

Emissions Test Exemptions for Electric Cars

Ohio only tests emissions on vehicles powered by gasoline or diesel fuel (including flexible fuel vehicles and hybrids). Therefore, fully electric vehicles are exempt. For more on emissions test requirements and exemptions, refer to our page on Ohio vehicle inspections.

If your vehicle requires an emissions test, find the nearest inspection station with the locator widget at the bottom of this page.

OH Alternative Fuel Transportation Grant Program

Ohio's Alternative Fuel Transportation Grant Program provides funding to businesses, nonprofit organizations, public school systems, and local governments for:

  • Buying and installing alternative fuel refueling or distribution facilities and terminals; Maximum incentive of 80% of facility or terminal cost, with the remaining 20% paid for by the recipient (and no other source).
  • Buying and using alternative fuel. Maximum incentive of 80% of fuel cost or incremental cost of blended biodiesel (at least 20% biodiesel) or blended gasoline (at least 85% ethanol).
  • Paying the cost of fleet conversion.
  • Paying the costs of educational and promotional materials and activities to encourage alternative fuel use.

OH developed this program to improve the state's air quality. See the specifics in the Ohio Revised Code 122.075.

CNG Vehicle Weight Allowance

Ohio allows compressed natural gas vehicles to exceed the state weight limits by up to 2,000 lbs except when it comes to interstate highways and highways, roads, and bridges subject to reduced maximum weights. Refer to Ohio Revised Code 5577.044 for specifics.

Federal Tax Credits for Owners of Fuel-Efficient Cars

Buying a new alternative energy vehicle, such as a hybrid or electric car, could earn you a number of federal tax credits.

Eligible fuel-efficient vehicles include:

  • Hybrids.
  • Plug-in hybrids (PEV).
  • Electric cars.
  • Diesels.
  • Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).

You can find more information at fueleconomy.gov. Also consider consulting your preferred tax preparer or your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center questions on tax incentives arise.

Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles

Depending on your OH car insurance provider, you might be able to get an auto insurance discount for driving an eco-friendly vehicle or engaging in green-driving practices.

Just a few examples of potential car insurance discounts include:

  • Hybrid auto discounts.
  • Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
  • Economy car discounts.
  • Low-mileage discounts.
  • Pay-as-you-drive discounts.
Again, potential discounts vary by provider. For example, example discounts might include as much as a 10% discount on your insurance for driving an eco-friendly vehicle.
Talk with your current auto insurance provider about such discounts; if the company doesn't offer them, consider shopping around for a company that does.

Stay Current with the Latest Ohio Green Driver Incentives

Green driver incentives and related eco-friendly vehicle laws will continue to evolve as Ohio focuses even more on environmental issues. In addition to checking back with DMV.org, also consult your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) office and the Alternative Fuels Data Center to keep pace with the latest.

Find a Nearby Ohio Emissions Testing Station

Locate the closest OH smog and emissions testing station with the widget below:

Please enter your ZIP code OR city and state abbreviation

DMV.org BBB Business Review