Replacing a Lost Registration in New York

For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.

Licensed by the
California DMV
California DMV
Online Registration Online Registration
Same Day Processing Same Day Processing
E-copy of Registration E-copy of Registration
Alternate Mailing Address Alternate Mailing Address
Phone Support Phone Support
$29 Convenience Fee Learn more below

Start Your CaReg Expedited Registration Renewal

Duplicate Vehicle Registrations and License Plates in New York

There are many reasons why your vehicle registration might be missing. New York's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes that situation less painful by making it extremely easy to apply for a duplicate registration. Under most circumstances, you'll typically be able to request a replacement online, by mail, or in person.

Replacing your registration receipt and registration sticker are one and the same. You'll automatically receive both when you request one or the other.

Remember, if your vehicle registration card or sticker is lost, stolen, or damaged, you should try to request a replacement as soon as possible. If you are caught driving without your current registration documents, you may face traffic citations, fines, and penalties.

On this page you'll find information about your options for requesting a replacement registration card and license plate sticker. If you have specific questions about your vehicle registration, you should contact the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) directly.

NOTE: If you suspect that your New York vehicle registration license plate sticker was stolen, you should also contact your local law enforcement agency to file a police report.

Online Duplicate NY Vehicle Registration

Ordering a replacement vehicle registration online is fast and easy. The New York online transaction page on the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website provides detailed information on everything you will need to know about using the system.

In a nutshell, you'll need to type in your:

  • License plate number.
  • Vehicle class.
  • Name.
  • Zip code.
  • E-mail address.

The NY DMV will send you a confirmation receipt. You'll also need to have a credit or debit card handy to pay a $3 fee.

Play it safe and print a copy of your e-mail receipt when you are finished with the online transaction. This way, if your duplicate registration fails to arrive, you can reference your e-mail receipt when contacting the New York DMV.

Your duplicate New York registration receipt and sticker will arrive within 10 days.

Order New York Registration in Person

Visiting a DMV office in person represents the fastest means for receiving a duplicate registration sticker. There is a strong chance you can be ticketed, regardless of the circumstances, for driving without a registration sticker.

When you visit a New York Department of Motor Vehicles office, you will need to:

You will typically receive your replacement registration receipt and sticker immediately after you pay the fee and submit your application.

Duplicate New York Registration by Mail

To request a duplicate vehicle registration by mail, you will need to send to the NY DMV:

Submit the above by mail to:

Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503

Your new registration materials will arrive in the mail within 10 days.


Vehicle Registration/Title Application - MV-82

Application for NY title (original or replacement), registration (original, renewal, duplicate, or corrected), OR plate transfers.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Replacing a Lost Registration in Another State?