Replacing a Lost Registration in New York
For a nominal fee, you can get your new registration sticker with next day delivery. Learn more below.
Licensed by the
|Online Registration||Online Registration|
|Same Day Processing||Same Day Processing|
|E-copy of Registration||E-copy of Registration|
|Alternate Mailing Address||Alternate Mailing Address|
|Phone Support||Phone Support|
|$29 Convenience Fee||Learn more below|
We get it—that panicked feeling after realizing your car registration is missing can ruin your entire day.
Fortunately, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) makes obtaining your duplicate registration pretty stress-free. Keep reading for details.
Missing or damaged stickers and/or plates? Jump over to our License Plates & Placards section for help!
Apply for a Duplicate NY Registration
Once you’ve noticed your vehicle registration card is missing, you can begin to replace it:
- By mail.
- In person.
Details for each method are outlined below.
*NOTE: If your registration was stolen, you MUST apply by mail or in person, and bring a police report.
You can apply for a duplicate registration online AS LONG AS your:
- Vehicle is:
- Model years newer than 1973.
- NOT a motorcycle, trailer, transporter vehicle, or similar vehicle with plate stickers.
- NOT registered through the International Registration Bureau.
- License is NOT suspended/revoked, surrendered, or expired.
- Registration was NOT stolen/lost in a crime.
- If so, you must file a police report and submit it by mail or in person.
If your vehicle qualifies, visit the DMV’s duplicate registration application portal. You will need your:
- Plate or registration number and class code.
- The DMV provides a sample document if you don’t remember your code from your registration card.
- Zip code.
- Payment for the $3 replacement fee (credit or debit card only).
You’ll be able to print a temporary registration card valid for 10 days; your permanent documents will be sent by mail. If you don’t receive them after 2 weeks, contact the DMV.
*NOTE: If you recently moved and had not yet changed your address with the NY DMV before your registration was lost or damaged, you’ll need to do so BEFORE applying online for a duplicate.
To replace your NY registration by mail, you’ll need a:
- Completed Application for Duplicate/Renewal Registration (Form MV-82D).
- If you need to update your address as well, you may write your new one on the application form.
- Photocopy of your driver’s license or ID card.
- If you do not have your license or ID, you will need to meet the DMV’s proof of identity requirements totaling at least 6 points.
- Police report, if your registration was stolen.
- Check or money order for the $3 replacement fee, made payable to “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles”.
Send the above to:
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503
If you haven’t received your new registration within 2 weeks, contact the DMV.
Replacing your NY car registration in person is quite similar to doing so by mail; however, instead of a photocopy of your ID, you’ll need to submit your original driver’s license or ID card.
Replacement NY Stickers & Plates
If your vehicle plates and/or stickers were also lost, stolen, or destroyed along with your registration, you have a few options for replacing them as well.
Jump over to our NY License Plates & Placards page for all of the details.