Replacing a Lost CDL in New York
The New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) allows you to apply for a replacement commercial driver's license online, by mail, or in person, and provides temporary licenses until your permanent one arrives. It's illegal to operate a commercial vehicle or other truck without your temporary or permanent CDL in hand.
Additionally, the NY DMV will waive the fee if you lost your CDL due to theft or another crime as long as you present proper paperwork from law enforcement. See below for details.
Apply for a Duplicate NY CDL
Based on your eligibility, you can obtain a replacement NY commercial driver’s license online, by mail, or in person.
In order to replace your lost CDL online, you must meet the eligibility requirements.
If none of the above apply to you, you may use the state’s online replacement system to order your duplicate CDL. Be prepared to pay the $17.50 replacement fee, plus any other applicable transaction fees.
Once you finish, you may print a temporary license while you wait for your permanent replacement to arrive by mail.
To apply for a duplicate CDL by mail, gather the following items:
- A completed Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
- Copies of all required proof of identity.
- Payment for the $17.50 fee.
- The DMV recommends a check/money order payable to "Commissioner of Motor Vehicles."
Mail the above to:
- NYS Department of Motor Vehicles
- 207 Genesee St., Suite 6
- Utica, NY 13501
You can order your replacement CDL in person at your local DMV office.
Once you’re ready, head to the DMV and:
- Complete the Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
- Provide ORIGINAL copies of proof of identity
- Unlike with the mail-in process, the NY DMV requires original copies for in-person applications.
- Pay the $17.50 fee.
You’ll receive a temporary CDL until the DMV mails your permanent replacement. Remember, the DMV uses the address it has on file, so if your address has changed be sure to update it with the clerk before leaving.
Replacement CDL Fee Waiver
The NY DMV will waive the replacement fee IF your lost CDL was due to a crime.
To be eligible for a fee waiver, you MUST file a police report—the officer will complete a Form MV-78B, which you’ll need to hand in to the DMV.
- Police Report Stolen License Plates, Driver's License, Commercial Driver's License, Documents
- Submit this form to the NY DMV to request a free replacement of stolen license plates OR driver's license. Must be obtained and completed at a police agency. Not available online.