Moving Out of State in New York

Registration and License Plates

New York wants its license plates back to clean out your records. Surrender your plates at any DMV office for a $1 fee, or mail them at no charge to:

  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • 6 Empire State Plaza
  • Room B240
  • Albany, NY 12228

Make sure to ask for your FS-6T receipt, and clean the plates beforehand of any framing or stickers. You should remove the registration stickers and destroy them.

To request a registration refund, complete a Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (Form MV-215). Mail this to the address listed on the form.

Circumstances Warranting a Refund

Don't expect to get a refund just because you're moving. If you've got significant time left on your registration, you may apply for a refund. If you're joining the military and leaving the state, you may also apply for a refund. If you don't see your circumstance listed on the Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses (Form MV-215), you're likely out of luck.

Just Moved?

Find all the information you need to finish your moving requirements with the DMV.

Things to Do When You Move to a New State

  • Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency, most states require that this be done within a set amount of time, usually ranging between 30 days and 60 days.
  • Apply for a new registration. This too must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
  • Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
  • Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
  • If you're a prospective new driver, you will need to check if your permit is honored in your new state.
  • If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
  • Notify your insurance company of your move and provide a new address.
  • Notify your leasing company if your vehicle is leased.
  • Learn if your new state requires vehicle inspections.


Request for Refund of Fee Paid for Motor Vehicle Registrations and Driver Licenses
Submit this form if you have grounds to request a refund for license OR registration fees you paid to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review