DMV Practice Tests in New York
|Driver Permit Test Packages||Basic||Complete||Plus||Sample Test|
|Package Price||$9.99||$14.99||$24.99||Free with
|Number of Questions||50||100||100||25|
|100% Online Practice Test||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|State Specific Questions||✔||✔||✔||x|
|State Driver Preparation Course||x||x||✔||x|
|Start Test||Start Test||Start Test||Register|
To pass the written exam you'll be required to take for your permit, license, or CDL, it is a good idea to take advantage of the several practice tests you can find through driver-focused educational companies. Read our guide to help you understand New York DMV practice tests.
Learner's Permit and Driver's License
If you are a new driver in New York, you are going to have to get a learner's permit before you are eligible to obtain a driver's license. A key step to getting your learner's permit involves passing a written exam.
You can find New York learner's permit practice tests online. These tests will help you prepare so that you can ace that written exam on your first try.
Types of Questions
You will be questioned on traffic laws, safety rules, and road signs.
On the actual written test, at the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will have to answer 20 questions. You will need to answer at least 14 questions correctly in order to pass the test. These questions will:
- Be multiple-choice.
- Include 4 questions on road signs. You must get at least 2 questions on road signs correct to pass.
The following are samples of questions you might see on the written exam:
In general, you should pass vehicles going in the same direction as you:
- On the left.
- On the right.
- Whenever you get the chance.
- If the driver signals you to pass.
When you want to make a right turn, your car must be:
- Close to the left side of the street.
- At the center of the street.
- Past the intersection.
- Close to the right side of the street.
A safe speed to drive your car is:
- The posted speed limit.
- Dependent on weather and road conditions.
- Slower than the speed limit.
- With the flow of traffic.
Motorists approaching bicyclists should:
- Proceed as usual.
- Speed up to pass.
- Use extreme caution.
- Swerve into the other lane.
You can find many more questions like these on a learner's permit practice test.
Keep practicing so that you can get one step close to getting your New York driver's license.
Road Signs practice tests are also available to help tests your knowledge of New York road signs.
For Spanish speaking prospective drivers, Spanish-language practice tests (Examen de Practica) are available.
Other DMV Practice Tests
The following is a list of other types of written exam practice tests available in New York:
- Motorcycle license – Prepare yourself for your motorcycle written exam.
- CDL – Commercial drivers are expected to know CDL rules. Use these practice tests to help you get ready for your test.
- CDL Endorsements – For commercial drivers who need special endorsements for the commercial vehicles they drive, such as a Class A endorsement, Class C with Passenger (P) endorsement, etc.
Multimedia and Print Resources
Need more help to get ready for the written test? The following resources can assist your studying and preparation:
- Driver Prep Course – This course will teach you about all the important subjects you need to know to pass your learner's permit written exam through easy-to-understand multimedia/video modules.
- DMV Study Guide – This useful and printable guide consolidates all the pertinent information you need to know to ace your test.
- You can take this guide with you and study while you wait.
Now that are you are ready to take the test, make sure you bring the following with you to the DMV:
- Proof of ID and date of birth.
- Your Social Security card.
- Payment for your fees.
You should also be prepared to take a vision test.