Learner's Permit Checklist in New York
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
Passing the written exam has never been easier, thanks to DMV Cheat Sheets. It's like having the answers before you take the test.
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- Driver's License, Motorcycle, and CDL
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Purchase a DMV Written Test Cheat Sheet
Learner's Permit Checklist
How to Get Your New York Learner's Permit
- Be at least 16 years old
- Complete a practice test (optional)**
- Make an appointment with your local NY DMV office
- Bring all documents and payment, and take all required permit tests
** Are You Ready for Your DMV Permit Test?
Did you know that over 70% of permit applicants fail their written DMV exam on their first attempt?
Give yourself the prep you need to make sure you ace your test on the very first try. Use a multimedia online practice test tailored specifically to your NY permit exam, and beat the statistics!
Bring to the NY DMV office:
- Proof of identity and age. *
- Your Social Security card.
- A completed:
- Application for Permit, Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44).
- Eye Test Report (Form MV-619), if you prefer not to take the vision exam at the DMV.
- Must be completed by your eye doctor.
- Payment for permit fee.
- Varies by age—see the DMV's fee chart.
* See below for a list of acceptable documents.
At the DMV...
- Submit the required documents listed above.
- Pass your written knowledge exam.
- Pass a vision test.
- Waived if you provide the completed Eye Test Report (Form MV-619)—see above.
- Pay the permit fee (see the DMV's list).
List of Acceptable Identity Documents
From the list below, you must provide-
- 1 document proving your date of birth.
- Documents adding up to 4 points proving your name and date of birth.
- This is in addition to providing your Social Security card. If you are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must provide documents that total 6 points, plus a letter from the SSA declaring your ineligibility.
Proof of Name and DOB
- Original birth certificate ( 0 points)
- Valid U.S. passport ( 4 points)
- NYS driver's license or ID card ( 6 points)
- U.S. or Canadian Driver's license ( 2 points)
- Statement of Identity and/or Residence (Form MV-45; 6 points)
- For applicants under 21 years old, must be signed at DMV office by parent/guardian)
- U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad ( 0 points)
- U.S. military ID ( 3 points)
- Certificate of Citizenship ( 3 points)
- Certificate of Naturalization ( 3 points)
For a full list of acceptable documents, please reference the NY DMV's proof of identification instructions form.
NOTE to applicants under 21 years old:
Permit applicants younger than 21 years old may not possess some of the eligible documents listed above to prove their identity.
If this is the case, your parent or guardian may complete the Form MV-45 (see above), but you will STILL need to provide proof of your birthdate, as well as your Social Security card (or proof of ineligibility).