Drivers Ed in New York
DMV Cheat Sheet - Time Saver
With DMV Cheat Sheets, it's like having the answers before you take the test. Only $9.95!
- Computer, tablet, or mobile phone
- Just print and go to the DMV
- 100% Money Back Guarantee
Driver's Education in New York
Taking a NY driver's education course will give you knowledge about the rules of the road and teach you how to become a safe driver.
If you just received your learner's permit, you're ready to attend a driver's education course. New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Graduated Licensing Program requires the completion of a driver's education course before applying for a junior driver's license.
NY Driver's Ed Eligibility Requirements
To apply for a NY driver's license, each new driver must satisfy the driver's education requirement before scheduling a road test. Before enrolling in driver's education, you must:
- Obtain a NY learner's permit.
- Be at least 16 years old.
You have the option of completing either driver's education or a pre-licensing course to satisfy this requirement. See “ About Driver's Ed in NY" below.
Prepare yourself for the DMV written exam by taking our New York practice test, and raise your chances of passing on your first try!
About Driver's Ed in New York
The NY DMV will accept either a pre-licensing course or driver education course certificate of completion when applying for your New York driver's license.
If you have lost or damaged your certificate of completion, you must contact the school directly as the NY DMV does NOT issue replacements.
Fees and schedules will vary depending on your chosen course provider. Contact them directly for specific information.
The New York course is a pre-licensing course that lasts 5 hours and offers training in all of the following subjects:
- The DMV point system.
- Rules of the road.
- Car-restraint systems and the laws of physics.
- Defensive driving techniques.
- The effects of attitude, emotions, and skills on driver safety.
- Drug and alcohol impairment.
Upon completion, you will be issued a Pre-Licensing Course Completion Certificate (Form MV-278), which is only valid for 1 year.
Remember, taking this 5 hour class online is not allowed.
New York Driver's Ed Courses
An approved driver's education course through your high school or college consists of:
- 24 hours of classroom training.
- 24 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction.
This full New York driver's education course takes a little longer to complete compared to the pre-licensing course, but teen drivers will gain additional driving experience.
Upon completion, you will receive a Driver's Ed Course Completion Certificate (Form MV-285), which is valid for 2 years.
Types of New York Driver's Ed Courses
In New York, you can choose between a pre-licensing course, or a driver's education course.
You can take a pre-licensing course at your high school, college, or at most driving schools in New York. Driver's Ed can be taken at your high school or college.
You only need to complete one of the above options in order to apply for your NY driver's license.
NOTE: The New York DMV currently does not accept online driver's education courses.
Getting Your Junior NY Driver's License
After completing your driver's education or pre-licensing course and holding your New York learner's permit for 6 months (if you are under 18 years old), you may apply for your junior driver's license. You will need:
- Proof you have completed the New York Driver's Ed requirement.
- A Certification of Supervised Driving (Form MV-262) signed by your parent or guardian.
- You must accumulate 50 hours of supervised driving (15 hours at night, 10 hours in heavy traffic).
- Documents to prove your identity.
- A passing score on your DMV road test.
- Payment for the license fee.
NOTE: You must make your road test appointment before your pre-licensing certificate expires (within 1 year).
For more details about applying for your New York driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New License (Teen Drivers) in New York page.
- DL Pre licensing Course Completion Certificate
- Submit this form to the NY DMV after completing an approved pre-licensing course. Can only be obtained from your driver's education provider. Not available online.
- DL Driver Ed Student Certificate of Completion
- Submit this form to the New York DMV after completing a Driver's Ed course (classroom AND behind-the-wheel education) to be eligible for an unrestricted license. Must be obtained from your Driver's Ed provider. Not available online.