Name Change in New York

When you change your name in New York, you will need to change your name on your:
  • Social Security card.
  • New York driver's license or ID card.
  • NY vehicle registration or title.

Change Your Name with the SSA

You must report your name change with the Social Security Administration (SSA) before changing your name with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles. Otherwise, the NY DMV will not be able to verify your Social Security number (SSN).

You can change your name with the SSA either in person or by mail. You CANNOT change your name online.

You will need:

  • A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Your certified name change document, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court order.
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • U.S. driver's license.
    • U.S. passport.
    • State-issued ID card.
  • Proof of your U.S. citizenship, such as your:
    • U.S. birth certificate.
    • Certificate of citizenship.
    • Certificate of naturalization.

All documents must be originals or certified copies. Visit the SSA website for a complete list of accepted documents.

Mail the above documents or bring them to your local Social Security Administration office. The SSA will mail your new Social Security Card.


  1. All attached documents will be sent back to you after your name change has been processed.
  2. Your Social Security number will not change.

Change Your Name with the NY DMV

The New York Department of Motor Vehicles requires you to change your name in person to update your:

  • Driver's license/ID card.
  • Vehicle registration.
  • Vehicle certificate of title.

You cannot change your name online, by mail, by phone, or by e-mail.

To change your name with the New York DMV, visit your local NY DMV office and bring:

  • Your current NY DMV documents requiring a name change.
  • Proof of your identity, such as your:
    • NY photo driver license, permit or ID (current/expired less than 2 years).
    • U.S. passport or passport card.
    • U.S. military photo ID card (active, reserve or retired personnel only).
  • A certified name change document, such as your:
    • Marriage certificate (U.S. state-, city-, or county-issued).
    • U.S. divorce decree (with official signature).
    • Court order (U.S. only).
  • A completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44), if applicable.
  • A completed Vehicle Registration/Title Application (Form MV-82), if applicable.
  • Payment for your replacement fee (see the “Fees to Change Your Name in NY" section below).

The NY DMV will mail your new driver's license/ID and vehicle registration and title within 10 days.

For a complete list of accepted proof of identity documents, visit the following pages:

Fees to Change Your Name with the NY DMV

It will cost you the following fees to change your name on your NY DMV documents:

  • Driver's license or learner's permit: $12.50.
  • Non-driver ID card: $5.
  • Vehicle registration: Free.
  • Certificate of title: Free.

Accepted Payment Methods

For most in-person New York DMV transactions, you can pay with:

  • Major credit or debit cards.
  • Personal checks.
  • Money orders.
  • Cash.

New York Voter Registration Name Change

You must notify the NY county board of elections and have your name change processed at least 20 days before a special, primary, or general election to be able to vote.

You can update your voter registration records at the same time you submit a name change with the NY DMV.

For more information on changing your name with the NY DMV, view the section above titled “Change Your Name with the NY DMV".

To update your name on your New York voter record directly with the NY county board of elections, use the New York State Voter Registration Form. Submit the form by mail or in person to the address of the appropriate county board of elections listed on the form.

For more information about voting in New York, visit our Voter Registration in New York page.

Changing Your Address with the New York DMV

If you change your address in New York, you must notify the New York DMV within 10 days.

To find out how to change your address on your NY driver's license, permit, ID card, vehicle registration, and title certificate with the New York DMV, please read our Changing Your Address in New York page.



Application for NY title (original or replacement), registration (original, renewal, duplicate, or corrected), OR plate transfers.


Application for original OR replacement NY learner's permit, identification card, OR driver's license.


This form can be used to change your name on your social security card.

Related Content

Provide Feedback BBB Business Review

Number of Organ Donors who registered through

Looking for Name Change in Another State?