Paperwork When Selling a Car in New York

If you're selling a vehicle in the state of New York, you'll need to have the proper paperwork. Below you will find all the information needed, as well as links to the documents you'll need to facilitate the sale.

Selling Your Vehicle in New York

When the time finally comes to part ways with your vehicle, you can have a dealer sell it, trade it in for another car (either to a dealer or a private party), or simply sell it to a private party.

If you sell your vehicle to a private individual, provide the following documents to the new owner:

Remove the license plates and the registration sticker from the windshield so you're not held liable for any parking or traffic tickets the new owner receives.

The new owner is responsible for getting a new title, a new registration, and new plates at a NY Department of Motor Vehicles office. You are responsible for surrendering your plates to the DMV or transferring them to another vehicle before your insurance lapses. Otherwise, the DMV may suspend your driver license.

How to Sell Without a NY Title

You may complete a transaction without a NY vehicle title if the vehicle is model year 1972 or older. Vehicles, vessels, snowmobiles, and ATV that do not have a title require additional documents to prove ownership.

If a driver is buying an older vehicle that was manufactured before 1972 (or other non-titled vehicles), the seller can fill out a Certificate/Affidavit of Sale or Transfer (Form MV-51).

The seller can also use a bill of sale and a Certification of NYS Registration for Transfer of Non-Titled Vehicle (Form MV-353). This form is available at your local DMV office and requires the seller to bring proof of identity specific for registrations and titles.

If you require more help, call Title Services at (518) 486-4714.

How to Sell Without a NY Registration

If you are selling a vehicle but misplaced the transferable registration, you can apply for a duplicate.

Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability

After the sale, remove the vehicle's New York license plates and registration sticker. You can destroy the registration sticker, but you must surrender the plates. If you opt to do this in person, you must visit your local NY DMV office and pay a $1 processing fee. Be sure you receive an FS-6T receipt.

Or, you can avoid the processing fee by surrendering the plates by mail. Send to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Room B240
Albany, NY 12228

The DMV will mail you an FS-6T receipt.

Bill of Sale

A bill of sale is needed for cars built in 1972 and after, and for other non-titled vehicles, vessels, snowmobiles, and ATVs. You can easily download a copy of this document from our Bill of Sale page.

Forms For Easy Download

Application for Duplicate Title (Form MV-902)

Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement (Form MV-103)

Statement of Transaction — Sale or Gift of Motor Vehicle, Trailer, All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), Vessel (Boat), or Snowmobile (Form DTF-802)

Certificate/Affidavit of Sale or Transfer (Form MV-51)

Optional helpful links:

Generic Bill of Sale

Vehicle History Report


Certification of NYS Registration for Transfer of NonTitled Vehicle
Statement of Transaction
Submit this form to the New York Department of Taxation and Finance if a vehicle was sold OR gifted without collecting sales tax.
Odometer and Damage Disclosure Statement
Official odometer and damage disclosure required when transferring ownership of a vehicle in New York.
Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption - Title/Registration
Use this form if you have grounds for exemption from sales and use taxes on a vehicle you're titling/registering.
Certification of Sale or Transfer for 1972 or Older Vehicles or Any Other Non-Titled Vehicles
Use this form to certify the transfer of ownership of an older vehicle in New York.
Application for a Duplicate Title
Use this form to request a duplicate AND/OR corrected vehicle title from the NY Department of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review