Buying and Selling FAQs in New York

FAQs on Buying and Selling a Vehicle in New York

Buying and selling a vehicle is an important transaction, but it doesn't have to be as complicated as it sounds. Just check out some of the questions and answers below for help getting on the right track in some common situations.

If you have questions pertaining to your specific circumstances, you should contact the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.

What's this vehicle sales tax I'm hearing about?

This tax only applies to New York City and a few other counties scattered across the state. You can refer to the list of counties that impose this tax during car registration.

New York City charges $30, the highest rate in the state. Supplemental MCTD is $50. Otherwise all other counties either charge $10 or $20, depending on your vehicle's weight.

What determines my sales tax rate when I purchase a new vehicle?

It is contingent on the vehicle's purchase price and your locality. You can determine your sales tax rate based on your jurisdiction.

What is an in-transit permit?

An in-transit permit allows you to get your newly purchased, unregistered vehicle from point A to point B legally―as long as point A begins somewhere in New York State. You can't bring a vehicle into NY with an in-transit permit, but you can drive one out of NY.

These permits are non-renewable and aren't to be confused with temporary registrations. The NY DMV doesn't offer temporary registrations.

I just bought a snappy speedster of a car in Europe. What's required to register it in New York State?

Here, in a nutshell, are the main requirements:

  • Your vehicle must comply with New York safety standards and emission requirements.

Which United States Customs and Border Protection forms will the DMV accept in order for me to register an imported car in New York State?

The NY DMV will accept:

  • CPB 3311 Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products.
  • CPB 7501 Entry Summary.
  • 368 Collection Receipt or Informal Entry.
  • CPB 3299 Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles.
  • CPB 7523 Entry and Manifest of Merchandise Free of Duty, Carrier's Certificate of Release.
  • CPB 6059B Customs Declaration.

If I plan on registering an imported car in New York State, is it a problem if some of the required forms are not in English?

Go find a good translator. For a document to be valid, you must provide the New York DMV with a certified English translation. Otherwise you'll be taking the bus to work.

If I can't find a certification label with my imported vehicle, how do I know if it complies with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards?

You must directly contact the vehicle's manufacturer. If you need assistance gathering contact information, call the NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance at (202) 366-5291.

I want to buy a hybrid car this year. Do I qualify for any tax credit?

The tax credits for hybrid gas-electric cars ended on December 31, 2010.


Collection Receipt or Informal Entry
Submit this form to the NY Department of Motor Vehicles when registering a car imported from another country. Must be obtained from U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Not available online.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review