DMV Appointments in New York
Presently, the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers appointments for a variety of tasks, allowing you to spend less time waiting in line and more time enjoying the Empire State.
Don't forget, you can also save time by taking advantage of the several online services offered by the New York DMV and several third-party companies.
Make a New York DMV Appointment
Depending on the type of appointment you need to make, the methods for doing so will differ.
License and Vehicle Appointments
The NY DMV allows you to make appointments using their online scheduling system for the following types of tasks:
- Driver's license or identification card:
- Written test for driver's permit,
- Renew or replace your NY driver license or ID card.
- Change of address.
- Suspended or revoked license status.
- Applying for an original New York identification card.
- Transfer your out-of-state license.
- Request your driving record.
- Name change.
- Car registration and license plates:
- Apply for a new NY registration.
- Transfer an out-of-state registration.
- Return your license plates.
- Replace your vehicle title.
- Replace or renew your car registration.
NY Road Test Appointments
If you need to schedule a road test appointment, you'll need to use a separate road test scheduling system to take a DMV skills test for:
- Class D (non-commercial) driver's license.
- Class M (motorcycle) driver's license.
- Commercial driver's license (CDL).
You can also schedule a road test by phone by calling the Road Test Scheduling System at (518) 402-2100.
What to Bring to Your Appointment
To save yourself the trouble of having to make multiple trips to the DMV, make sure you have all the required documents when you go in for your appointment. For a better idea of what to bring, read our guides to:
- Earning your driver's permit.
- Driver's license:
- Change of:
- Applying for a new identification card.
- Out-of-state transfer for:
- Vehicle registration.
- Driving record requests.
- New vehicle registration.
- Surrendering license plates.
- Request a duplicate vehicle title.
- Car registration:
- Road tests for:
- Motorcycle license.