Accident Guide in New York

What to do After a Car Accident in New York

Road accidents are inevitable. If you're unfortunate enough to be involved in a crash you need to follow certain procedures for police and insurance purposes.

Here's the Scoop

If you're involved in an accident with another vehicle you must stop. If only vehicle damage is involved you must exchange names, license numbers, phone numbers, and insurance company information.

If the damage is $1,000 or more, all involved drivers must file an Report of Motor Vehicle Accident (Form MV-104) within 10 days of the mishap. Don't treat this lightly. Failure to file within 10 days can lead to a suspended license.

If a person is killed or injured, contact the police immediately. Don't leave the scene before the police arrive or there will be a warrant issued for your arrest. You must file a police report and remain at the scene until the police give you the OK to leave.

If you need a copy of the accident report you can either contact the police department that presided over the incident, or submit to the DMV a police report request (Form MV-198C).

No Other Humans Around?

If you collide with an unoccupied car, or squash a domestic pet, you must try to contact the owners. If you cannot locate them, play it safe and call the police.

Unfortunately, many vehicle accidents involve parties who were driving while intoxicated, obtained personal injuries, or both.

If you fall into one or both of those categories, you should consider getting legal assistance. We provide special sections on both DWI attorneys and personal injury attorneys.


Request for Copy of Accident Report
Submit this form to the NY Department of Motor Vehicles to request a copy of an accident report concerning a crash you were involved in.
Report of Motor Vehicle Accident
Complete this form to report an accident to the New York DMV.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review