Other Licenses & Endorsements in Nevada

Nevada Special Driver's Licenses

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offers different driver's license classes and endorsements for different types of vehicles and driving professions.

With certain license classes, you'll be permitted to drive heavy vehicles and vehicles designed to carry a large number of passengers.

You'll likely need to pass written and driving tests and provide additional licensing fees to the NV DMV.

On this page you'll find an overview of some of the license classes and endorsements available to you.

If you need information on applying for a regular driver's license, please visit our:

Who Needs a Commercial License in Nevada?

You'll need to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) if you intend to drive any of the following:

  • A vehicle whose actual, combination, registered, or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is more than 26,001 lbs., and is towing a vehicle with an actual, registered, or GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. (Class A license).
  • A single vehicle whose actual, registered, or GVWR is more than 26,001 lbs. (Class B license).
  • A vehicle designed to either transport at least 16 passengers (including the driver) or carry hazardous materials (Class C license).

Certain driving professions require further endorsements, while others don't even require a CDL. We'll sort out some common scenarios below.

For more information about applying for a commercial driver's license, please visit our Applying for a New CDL in Nevada page.

School Bus Drivers

If you're seeking to transport children in a school bus, you need a CDL if the bus is designed to seat more than 16 passengers, including the driver. You'll need to obtain a passenger (P) and a school bus (S) endorsement, in addition to the CDL.

You'll also likely need to:

  • Provide your fingerprints.
  • Pass a criminal background check.
  • Maintain a clean driving record.
  • Become certified and trained as a school bus driver.
  • Pass a driving test in a school bus.
  • Pay a licensing and endorsement fee.

For more information, please contact the Nevada DMV.

Shuttle Bus Drivers

Shuttle buses come in a variety of styles and sizes, and they serve many different purposes. You may need to obtain a CDL, along with a passenger (P) endorsement (other endorsements may also be required).

Whether or not you need a CDL will depend upon the size of your vehicle and the maximum number of passengers you plan to transport. Check with the Nevada DMV or your potential employer to find out what's needed for your specific situation.

Taxi Cab Drivers in Nevada

Generally, taxi cab drivers do not need a special license or permit. However, some taxi drivers will likely need to:

  • Hold a valid driver's license.
  • Maintain a clean driving and criminal record.
  • Become certified.
  • Pay a licensing fee.

NOTE: To operate a taxi in Clark County, you must have a permit issued by the Nevada Taxicab Authority.

Nevada Sport Vehicles

Off-highway vehicle users do not need a special license. Just remember that ATVs, snowmobiles, motorbikes, and other sport vehicles are not allowed on major roadways. Some sport and off-road vehicles may require a motorcycle license. For more information, please visit our Motorcycle License in Nevada page.

DMV.ORG BBB Business Review