Replacing a Lost Registration in Nevada
Nevada requires drivers to keep a registration receipt and also display a registration decal on their rear license plate. If either of these items are damaged or missing, request your duplicate as soon as possible through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Fortunately, replacing your registration card or plate sticker is quick and easy. Read on to learn more about the process.
Need to replace your license plate?
We can help with that, too! Jump over to our guide to license plates in Nevada for instructions.
Replace a NV Registration Card or Decal
The Nevada DMV allows you to request your registration card or decal in several different ways. You can request your items:
- By mail.
- By fax.
- In person at:
- A DMV office.
- A designated kiosk.
We’ve included detailed instructions on each of these methods for you below.
Make sure you know your VIN!
No matter how you request your registration card, you’ll need to know your vehicle ID number (VIN).
Find your VIN on your:
- Dashboard, near the windshield on the driver’s side.
- Driver’s door jamb.
You can apply for your duplicate registration receipt or sticker online as long as the DMV has your current mailing address on file. Need to change yours? Jump over to our change of address guide.
If you’re eligible, visit the DMV’s online portal and enter your:
- Last 4 digits of your vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Driver’s license number.
- Plate number.
- Last name or business name.
- Payment information for the $6 fee.
You can choose to print your registration immediately, or you can have it mailed to you with your plate decal. If you choose the mailing option, you should receive your items within 10 business days.
In Person, By Mail, or By Fax
To request a replacement registration or decal at a DMV office, by mail, or by fax, provide:
- A completed Application for Duplicate Certificate of Registration and/or Substitute Decal (Form VP013).
- Proof of insurance.
- Payment for the $6 duplicate registration fee.
If you fax your request, include a completed copy of a Payment Authorization (Form VP-205) with your insurance card and application.
You can submit your application, insurance, and payment:
- In person to your local DMV office.
- For info about visiting a kiosk, see the section below.
- By fax to (775) 684-4797.
- By mail to:
- DMV Central Services
- 555 Wright Way
- Carson City, NV 89711
If mailing your request, payment can be in the form of a:
- Money order.
- Completed Payment Authorization (Form VP-205).
At a DMV Kiosk
Many Nevada DMV offices and DMV partner locations have convenient, time-saving kiosks that allow you to complete a number of simple transactions.
You can print out your plate decal and registration by providing your:
- Last 4 digits of your plate number.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Birth date.
- Driver’s license number.
- Full name as it appears on your license.
- Payment for the following fees:
- Duplicate registration: $6.
- Processing fee: $3.