Replacing a Lost Title in Nevada

Replacing a Lost Title in Nevada

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles will replace a title if yours was lost, damaged, or stolen.

Once the NV DMV process your request, you will receive your new title from Carson City.

Continue reading this page for specific details about how to apply for a duplicate NV title, add/remove liens from your title, or make corrections to your Nevada title.

How to Get for a Duplicate Title in Nevada

You can apply for a duplicate title if the title was issued in NV and the vehicle is not leased, has a lienholder or a loan.  

Vehicle Titles with a Lienholder, Lease, or Loan

If your vehicle title shows a lienholder, leasing agency or loan you will need to contact the lienholder so they can  apply for a duplicate title. If the lien was satisfied and the title was issued in NV you can submit a completed Lien Release (Form VP186). This will remove the lienholder from a paper title. If your title is electronic the lienholder must remove their lien from your title electronically.

Vehicle Titles with no Lienholder, Lease, or Loan

You can request a Nevada replacement title in person or by mail. You'll need to:

Nevada DMV
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711

What are the Fees for a Duplicate Title?

The duplicate title fee is $20 if the vehicle is in Nevada.

If your vehicle is titled in a different state, your fee will be $35.

There is an $8.25 title processing fee if a change of ownership is required.

Expedited Duplicate Titles

Titles are sent from the Carson City office. However, you can have them sent via Federal Express.

You will need to:

Other Title Scenarios

Was your vehicle titled in another state?

To request a duplicate title that was issued by another state, means you will have to contact the issuing state. You can look up the state agency that issues title using the NV 50 State DMV Links webpage.  While you are not required to title your vehicle in NV, it is strongly recommended that you do so by the NV DMV.

If you are not sure about the last state it was titled in, you can contact the DMV Records Section for a query into various national auto databases.

Are you out of state?

If you're out of state, you must submit a written statement from the state agency in that state requesting a duplicate new vehicle title with a complete vehicle description, such as model, VIN and make.

It also acknowledges that the Nevada Certificate of Title has not been surrendered to them.

If the vehicle stays in Nevada, you'll pay a $20 title fee. If it is not located in Nevada or registered here, you'll pay a $35 title fee.

Never Received Your Original Title?

If you never received the original title, you can also complete a Lost Title Affidavit (Form VP-206) to submit with your application for replacement. This will certify that the title for a specific vehicle was issued but never received.

You also pledge to surrender the original title if it is found.

Corrections to Your NV Title

You can change names, lienholder information or family trust information in your request to replace your title.

For more information you can read our Title Transfers page.

Change Your Name

When applying for your duplicate title, you must supply a legal document that authorizes the name change, such as a divorce decree, marriage certificate or court order. All other instructions remain the same. See "Apply for a Duplicate Title" above for specific details.

In the event of a divorce, you're required to produce documentation that authorizes awarding of the title of a specific vehicle.


Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title
Request a replacement NV vehicle title from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Application For Expedited Processing of Nevada Title
Application for an expedited Nevada vehicle title from the DMV.
Lien Release
Use this DMV form to release liens on your NV vehicle title.
Lost Title Affidavit
Verify that you never received your Nevada car title from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review