Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Nevada
Mopeds & Scooters
Mopeds in Nevada have very specific requirements. To be classified as a moped, this vehicle:
- Must not produce more than 2 HPs (gross brake horsepower).
- Must not have an engine bigger than 50 ccs (cubic centimeters).
- Must not reach speeds greater than 30 MPH on a flat surface.
A moped which meets all of these criteria does not require insurance, but it must have all the proper safety equipment, must be registered, and you must carry a regular Class C or higher driver's license to operate in order to drive it on public streets.
Nevada Moped Registration
In Nevada, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires registration 1 time for all mopeds, whether you bought it new or used. The process for registering a moped varies slightly depending on where you live. Here's a look at what you'll need to do in order to register:
- Have your moped inspected.
- Your moped may be inspected at the Carson City, Las Vegas, and Reno DMV locations.
- If you live in a rural county without a DMV office, you must visit your local Sheriff's Office and have them complete a Moped Registration Application/Inspection (Form VP-30).
- The inspection fee is $1.
- The inspection will determine whether or not your vehicle is a moped. If NOT, visit our Nevada motorcycle registration page for details.
- Visit your local NV DMV office.
- Present the following:
- The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
- The Dealer's Report of Sale.
- Title, sales contract, or receipts.
- Payment for the moped registration fees and taxes.
- There is a $33 moped registration fee. Other fees and taxes will vary depending on the vehicle's value.
For more on what constitutes a moped, visit Nevada's moped registration page.
Not a Moped?
Registration fees for motorcycles are assessed the same as vehicles, but you'll also pay an extra $6 fee to help fund the Nevada Rider Motorcycle Safety Program.
With rising gas costs, everyone is looking for more economical transportation. Mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles are fun and efficient options.