Scooters, Mopeds, Etc... in Nevada
Mopeds & Scooters
Mopeds in Nevada have very specific requirements. To be classified as a moped, this vehicle:
- Must not produce more than 2 HPs (gross brake horsepower).
- Must not have an engine bigger than 50 ccs (cubic centimeters).
- Must not reach speeds greater than 30 MPH on a flat surface.
A moped which meets all of these criteria does not require insurance, but it must have all the proper safety equipment, must be registered, and you must carry a regular Class C or higher driver's license to operate in order to drive it on public streets.
Nevada Moped Registration
In Nevada, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires registration 1 time for all mopeds, whether you bought it new or used. The process for registering a moped varies slightly depending on where you live. Here's a look at what you'll need to do in order to register:
- Have your moped inspected.
- Your moped may be inspected at the Carson City, Las Vegas, and Reno DMV locations.
- If you live in a rural county without a DMV office, you must visit your local Sheriff's Office and have them complete a Moped Registration Application/Inspection (Form VP-30).
- The inspection fee is $1.
- The inspection will determine whether or not your vehicle is a moped. If NOT, visit our Nevada motorcycle registration page for details.
- Visit your local NV DMV office.
- Present the following:
- The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
- The Dealer's Report of Sale.
- Title, sales contract, or receipts.
- Payment for the moped registration fees and taxes.
- There is a $33 moped registration fee. Other fees and taxes will vary depending on the vehicle's value.
For more on what constitutes a moped, visit Nevada's moped registration page.
Not a Moped?
Registration fees for motorcycles are assessed the same as vehicles, but you'll also pay an extra $6 fee to help fund the Nevada Rider Motorcycle Safety Program.
With rising gas costs, everyone is looking for more economical transportation. Mopeds, scooters, and motorcycles are fun and efficient options.
Moped Registration Application/Inspection
Register and have your moped inspected with the Nevada DMV.
|Download Open the form|