Other Vehicle Registrations in Nevada

SUMMARY: How to Register Other Vehicle Types in Nevada

For many special vehicle types, the registration process is the same as registering a standard car or truck; however, you should be prepared to pay higher fees if your vehicle is larger or heavier, such as with a motorhome or RV. Other vehicles require inspections prior to registration, including homemade trailers and custom-built cars. Check for your vehicle type below to see if you have any special requirements or exemptions.

In Nevada, if you own a trailer, off-highway vehicle, or recreational vehicle, you must pay attention to the registration and titling requirements, otherwise you risk receiving fines and other penalties.

While most vehicles must be registered with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), other state agencies may take care of registration paperwork for other types of vehicles, such as boats.

You may also wish to visit some of our other pages:

Trailers in Nevada

If you want to operate your utility or travel trailer on Nevada's public roads, you must have it titled and registered first. The process to register your trailer is the same as registering your car, except you DO NOT need to have:

  • Insurance coverage.
  • An odometer disclosure statement.
  • A smog/emissions check.

After January 1st, 2015 trailers may be registered for up to 3 years. To register your trailer follow the instructions on our Register Car in Nevada page.

Homemade Trailers

If you have a homemade or rebuilt trailer, you'll need to have it inspected by a Nevada DMV representative before you can have it registered. It will need to pass the standards required for:

  • Tail lamps.
  • Stop lamps.
  • Turn signals.
  • Reflectors.
  • Brakes.
  • Fenders.

See the Nevada DMV website for a full list of trailer equipment requirements.

Both you and the DMV representative inspecting your trailer will need to complete a Certificate of Inspection and Affidavit of Trailer Construction (Form VP 223). You'll need this completed form to register the trailer.

Golf Carts and Other Low Speed Vehicles

If you have a low speed vehicle that adheres to federal standards, you must have it registered before you can drive it on a public road.

NOTE: You can only drive your low speed or neighborhood electric vehicle on public streets with a speed limit of 35 MPH or less.

Registering your low speed vehicle is the same process as registering a standard car. You'll need to visit your local Nevada DMV office with documents, including:

Nevada Off-Highway Vehicles

In Nevada, off-highway vehicles (OHVs) include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), pocket bikes, motorized scooters, and snowmobiles. All of these need to be registered and titled in Nevada.

NOTE: Your OHV may be exempt from registration if it has an engine size of 70 cc or smaller and was manufactured before 1976. Your OHV may be exempt from titling if you bought it before July 1, 2012.

If your OHV has never been registered in Nevada before, you will need to first have it inspected by a licensed OHV dealer in Nevada, or a law enforcement officer.

Once you're ready to register your OHV, you'll need to mail your application and payment to:

OHV Unit
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711

It will cost you $20 to register your OHV and payment must be made by check or money order made payable to "DMV."

There are different documents required depending on the age of your vehicle, who you purchased it from, and whether it is homemade. For more information, see the NV Commission on Off-Highway Vehicles website.

NOTE: You MUST register your OHV within 30 days of purchasing it.

Recreational Vehicles (RVs)

All recreational vehicles must be registered in Nevada. Follow the instructions listed on our guide to Registering a Car in Nevada, as the steps and requirements are the same; the difference will fall within the fees, as your RV or motorhome is much larger than a standard vehicle.

Use the Nevada DMV's registration fee calculator to get an estimate of what your registration fee will be.

Custom-Built Vehicles

Before registering your custom-built vehicle in Nevada, you'll need to have it inspected first at an authorized inspection station. The inspector will complete all applicable sections on a Certificate of Inspection/Affidavit of Vehicle Construction (Form VP-64) and you will need to complete some of it too.

Once you've passed your inspection, simply follow the instructions listed in on our Nevada Car Registration page, but remember to also bring:

Moped Registration in NV

The Nevada DMV DOES NOT require mopeds to be registered. A moped is defined as a vehicle with:

  • No more than 2 HP.
  • An engine size of up to 50 CC (gas-powered) OR 1,500 watts (electric).
  • A maximum speed of 30 MPH on level ground.

If your vehicle exceeds these limits, it MUST be registered as a motorcycle.

For more information, including licensing requirements, see our scooters and mopeds page.

Fees to Register a Special Vehicle in NV

The fees required to register your special vehicle will vary depending on the type of vehicle you have. You can get a fee estimate by using the Nevada MyDMV online system and entering information about your vehicle. You can also contact your local NV Department of Motor Vehicles office for more fee information.


Application for Vehicle Registration
Department of Motor Vehicles application to register your vehicle in Nevada.
Certificate of Inspection/Affidavit of Vehicle Construction
Submit this completed inspection certificate to the DMV when applying for a rebuilt vehicle title in Nevada. Form must be completed by an authorized rebuilder AND a DMV employee.
Vehicle Inspection Certificate
If required, submit this completed VIN verification inspection form when titling your vehicle. Must be completed by a DMV-approved inspector.
VP 223
Certificate of Inspection and Affidavit of Trailer Construction
Submit this affidavit when applying for a NV title and/or registration for a trailer that's reconstructed, rebuilt, specially constructed, OR a manufactured kit. Inspection portion must be completed by a Department of Motor Vehicles agent.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review