Green Vehicle Laws and Regulations in Nevada
Nevada rewards green driving, but it also enlists a few green vehicle laws and regulations aimed to protect the environment and enhance air quality. Read on for information about NV emissions test requirements, idle reduction requirements, low-speed vehicle restrictions, auto insurance requirements for fuel-efficient cars and alternative fuel vehicles such as hybrids and electric vehicles, and more.
Nevada Vehicle Emissions Tests
You can skip the smog check if you drive:
- Alternative fuel vehicles.
- New hybrid-electric vehicles (for the first 5 model years).
- Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 lbs. or greater.
Low-Speed Vehicle Access to Roadways
Nevada prohibits drivers from operating low-speed vehicles on a NV roadways with a speed limit greater than 35 MPH UNLESS you are crossing that roadway at an intersection.
Additionally, Nevada defines a low-speed vehicle as one that:
- Has 4 wheels.
- Weighs 3,000 lbs. or fewer.
- Can operate at a speed of at least 20 MPH (miles per hour) but no more than 25 MPH on a level, paved surface.
Idle Reduction Requirement
- An emergency vehicle.
- Used for snow removal or vehicle repair and maintenance.
- Undergoing repair or maintenance.
- Stopped because of traffic congestion.
- Producing emissions contained and treated per State Environmental Commission methods.
- Idling to perform a specific task.
Nevada Auto Insurance Requirements
However, green driving can bring auto insurance perks, too. For example, you might be eligible for discounts based on the type of eco-friendly car you drive or any green driving habits you exhibit.
Learn more about potential car insurance discounts over at our section on green driver incentives.
Keep Up with Current Nevada Green Vehicle Laws
Note that Nevada's green vehicle laws and eco-friendly incentives can change at any time, so be sure to check back here as well as with both the Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC) and your localNevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office for the latest information.
Find a Nearby Nevada Emissions Testing Station
Locate the closest NV smog and emissions testing station with the widget below: