Green Driver State Incentives in Nevada
- Alternative Fuel and Hybrid Electric Vehicle Emissions Exemption
- NV Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
- Federal Tax Credits for Going Green
- Alternative Fuel Vehicle Parking Fee Exemption
- Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging Rate Incentive
- Keep Up with Current Nevada Green Driver Incentives
- Find a Nearby Nevada Emissions Testing Station
Driving an eco-friendly vehicle doesn't just help save the planet; it can help save your wallet, too. Nevada offers several green driving incentives for earth-friendly drivers—not to mention the tax breaks and car insurance discounts you might be eligible for, too.
Alternative Fuel (AFV) and Hybrid Electric (HEV) Vehicle Emissions Exemption
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
- New hybrid electric vehicles (for the first 5 model years).
- Newer model diesel vehicles and those with a gross vehicle weight is 14,001 lbs or more.*
* Waivers for diesel vehicles can vary. Check Nevada's General Information—Light Duty Diesel Vehicles pamphlet for specific information about your diesel vehicle.
NOTE: If your vehicle requires a smog and emissions check, refer to our Local Smog Check Stations widget below
NV Auto Insurance Discounts for Eco-Friendly Driving and Green Vehicles
Did you know some Nevada auto insurance providers offer discounts to customers who drive eco-friendly vehicles? Some even offer discounts to drivers with green driving habits!
- Low-mileage discounts.
- Pay-as-you-drive discounts.
- Economy car discounts.
- Hybrid auto discounts.
- Alternative fuel vehicle (AFV) discounts.
Of course, car insurance discounts vary by provider. Your provider might offer as much as a 10% discount for driving an eco-friendly vehicle.
Ask your current NV auto insurance agent if the company offers such discounts; if not, consider shopping around online for a provider that does.
Federal Tax Credits for Going Green
Federal tax credits are another way to save some green for going green. The government offers numerous tax breaks for drivers who purchase certain fuel-efficient vehicles, including:
- Plug-in hybrids (PHEV).
- Electric cars (EV).
- Alternative fuel vehicles (AFV).
Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Parking Fee Exemption
If you drive an AFV, you can park at parking meters for free.
According to Nevada law, each municipality must establish a program allowing AFV drivers to park for free—with an AFV decal, of course. However, it's up to each municipality to provide application and distribution processes for that decal, and decals cannot exceed $10. If you're unsure who to contact, try your local DMV office first.
For more information about this law, reference Nevada Revised Statutes 445B.770 though 445B.825.
Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging Rate Incentive
If you're a Nevada Energy customer and live in the Northern and Southern Service Territories, you can get discounted electricity rates if you charge your electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle during off-peak hours (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
Learn more about signing up at NV Energy’s Electric Vehicle Rate.
Keep Up with Current Nevada Green Driver Incentives
Note that green driver incentives—as well as laws and regulations—can evolve, so be sure to bookmark this page as well as check with the Alternative Fuels Data Center (AFDC) and your local Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office for the most up-to-date information.