Disability Plates and Placards in Nevada

SUMMARY: Nevada Disability Plates & Placards

If you are a Nevada resident with a disability, you may qualify for a placard or license plate that allows you to use handicapped parking spaces. Information about disability parking placards and license plates is found below, including handicapped parking rules, placard and plate applications, how to renew your disabled parking permit, and how to replace lost or stolen permits.

Keep reading for more information about disability placards and plates in Nevada, including how to apply for one from the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Types of Nevada Disability Permits

The following types of disability license plates/placards are available from the NV DMV:

  • Temporary placard.
  • Moderate placard.
  • Permanent placard.
  • Permanent plate.
  • Disabled veteran plate.
  • Expedited Service Permits.

A disability placard is a sign that must be hung on the front side of your rearview mirror and must be visible at all times.

The handicap license plate, on the other hand, is a specialized plate that takes the place of a standard license plate.

Nevada Visitors with Disabilities

If you're traveling to Nevada and have a handicapped parking placard or license plate from your home state, you can use it in Nevada.

The state of Nevada recognizes disability placards and plates from all other U.S. states.

Disability Parking Rules in NV

A handicap placard allows you to park in any area designated for disabled drivers.

You must either be driving OR be a passenger in the vehicle that is parked in the disabled parking space.

Apply for Disability Parking in NV

The Nevada DMV issues parking placards and license plates for people with qualifying disabilities only.

You will need to obtain medical certification and submit it with your application. You may also need to submit additional items, depending on the type of permit you are applying for.

Disability Placard

You can apply for a handicapped parking placard from the DMV either:

  • By mail.
  • By fax.
  • In person.

You will need a completed Disabled Persons License Plates and/or Placards Application (Form SP27). A healthcare professional with a valid and unrestricted driver's license must complete the bottom half of the application.

NOTE: Temporary, moderate, and permanent disability placards are free.

Submit your application:

  • By mail to the address on the form.
  • By fax to (775) 684-4992.
  • In person at a Nevada DMV office.

Disabled License Plate

You must apply for a disability license plate in person at a Nevada DMV office.

You will need:

If you are renewing your registration at the same time, you will ALSO need:

Renew Your Disability Placard or License Plate

Placards and license plates for people with disabilities expire and must be renewed.

  • Temporary placards (red) are valid for up to 6 months.
  • Moderate placards (blue) are valid for up to 2 years.
  • Permanent placards (blue) are valid for up to 10 years.
  • Disability license plates are valid for 1 year.

If you have a temporary or moderate disability placard and need it after it has expired, you will need to complete a new application. See the section “Apply for Disability Parking in NV" above.

If you have a permanent disability placard, you will receive a renewal application in the mail before it expires. You will need to return the completed renewal form to the NV DMV before your placard expires.

NOTE: A physician DOES NOT need to sign your permanent placard renewal application.

To renew your disability license plate, you'll simply need to renew your vehicle registration.

Replace a Placard or Plate in NV

If your temporary, moderate, or permanent placard is lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for a new one. See “Apply for Disability Parking in NV" above for application details.

If your license plate is lost, stolen, or damaged, see our Nevada lost registration page for replacement instructions.

Expedited Service Permits

Expedited Service Permits are available to disabled individuals with an irreversible condition. These permits allow the holder to expedited services at State of Nevada agencies. In order to apply for the permit you must fill out a Application for Expedited Service Permit (Form SP 59). The fees for a new, renew or duplicate are based on age:

  • Under 18 years old: $6.25.
  • 65 years old or older: $7.25.
  • All other ages: $12.25.
  • Change of name and or new photo: $7.25.


Application for Disabled Persons License Plates and/or Placards
Apply for permanent OR temporary disabled license plates, placards, OR stickers with the Nevada DMV. Must be completed by a physician.
SP 59
Application for Expedited Service Permit
If you have a permanent disability, use this DMV form to request an expedited service permit, which gives you access to faster service from Nevada state agency employees.
DMV.ORG BBB Business Review