Name Change in Nevada
Continue reading this page for complete instructions on changing your name with the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Before changing your name on your NV driver's license and vehicle documents, you'll need to first change your name on the Social Security Administration's (SSA) records. Take or mail the following documents to your local SSA office:
- A completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if required) OR proof of your lawful presence in the U.S.
- Proof of your identity (e.g. driver's license, ID card, passport).
- Proof of your name change (e.g. divorce decree, marriage license, court order).
Visit the SSA website for a complete list of required documents.
The SSA will mail you a new Social Security card showing your new name about 10 business days after your application is processed.
To change your name on your Nevada driver's license or ID card, visit a NV DMV office in person. You cannot change your name by mail or online.
You will need:
- Your current NV driver's license or identification card.
- Documents proving your name change, such as your:
- Certified marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court document.
- Payment for the duplicate card.
The Nevada DMV will give you a temporary driver's license to use until your replacement card arrives in the mail.
Changing your name on your car registration and certificate of title requires a trip to the Nevada DMV.
NOTE: You are not required to change your name on your title certificate, but the NV DMV advises it.
To update your name on your vehicle registration, you will need:
- To show proof of your name change, such as your:
- Marriage certificate.
- Divorce decree.
- Court order.
- Your NV driver's license showing your new name.
- An updated auto insurance card showing your new name.
- Your current registration document.
- Payment for the required fee.
To change your name on your car certificate of title, you'll need to sign it in the space given. If there is a lien on the vehicle, the lien holder will need to approve the change to the title.
For more information about changing your name on your title certificate, contact the Nevada DMV.
To change your name on your NV DMV documents, you'll need to pay the appropriate fee/s:
- Driver's license: $8.25.
- ID card: $9.25.
- Vehicle registration:
- Renewal: Varies depending on vehicle type.
- Duplicate: $5.
- Certificate of title:
- Title transfer: $29.25.
- Duplicate title: $21.
Accepted Payment Methods
The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices accept payment by:
- Money order.
- Debit card.
- All major credit cards.
If you move to a new address, either within Nevada or to another state, you must notify the DMV within 30 days.
You can change your address either online, by mail, by fax, or in person. See our Change of Address in Nevada page for instructions.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.